Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#90467 10/04/06 12:50 PM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
With Freedom comes responsibility. When I lived in town my neighbor was a confirmed junkaholic that drove a station wagon that was so full of junk he could barely ride in it. He was always badgered by the city to keep his collection out of sight in the shed or the house. He eventually complied, but his house was a nightmare and the shed filled to the rafters. His lack of neighborhood responsibility and addiction to junk collecting was surely the type of thing that leads to suburban fears of trashy looking properties and establishment of covenants we see today. Sometimes the fix can become just as overbearing as the problem and even harder to live with. I am always weary of giving up freedoms and property rights to solve a perceived problem and not leaving reasonable persons a chance to compromise and show respect for social order. It's just a shame responsible auto hobbyists sometimes get caught in the unbending rules that end up sacrificing a pursuit of happiness without a chance to negotiate a reasonable and responsible solution. Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it. I am sure the Chineese are confident they are solving all kinds of social ills and find American freedoms a threat to be avoided. Just my opinion.

Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

#90468 10/04/06 02:14 PM
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I have seen with some people in these neighborhood or condo boards having a problem with "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely"; sometimes they just go nuts with their ”˜power’ over their neighbors…

Before we judge people just as beings sloths or lazy or low lifes who save stuff and never throw stuff away we should realize that this many times is a symptom of several different mental conditions over which people have very limited or no personal control. Some people just can not throw anything away.

People are like a box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get...
#90469 10/04/06 04:32 PM
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Videoranger makes a lot of sense to me. I once lived next to a guy that couldn't turn away any bargain and because of it I'm sure I could have gotten more for my house when I sold it.

I live in Jersey and to "two 57 chevys" I have to say that I know a guy that has had a 57 Belair 4dr in his driveway for about two years now. He hasn't done a thing to it all that time, but the house is nice and the driveway is not cluttered.

I guess neatness still counts for something.

Chat Group Chapter Member
Current rides;
1968 Camaro rs/SS 350 4spd
2000 Blazer LT
2005 Malibu Maxx
2007 Acura TDX
Last total restoration;
1932 Sport Coupe
#90470 10/05/06 09:58 AM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Louis C is right about uncontrollable compulsive behavior that results in clutter, as my old neighbor probably had this tendency. We also should be careful not to judge others too harshly when they really mean no harm or disrespect to others. I hope two Chevies can find a solution to his dilema and be able to pursue his 57 project. My old neighborhood was a working class area and tended to be more tolerant of driveway projects that didn't get out of hand. Sometimes finding storage for project and parts vehicles means having to rent a space at a storage facility which adds extra cost to the project.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.