Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#59479 03/05/03 03:00 AM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I found out from Steve who the owner was of this front V-8 chassis, and since I would be in the neigborhood in a few weeks for the Portland Swapmeet, I contacted the owner directly for a "look see" But Andy informed me that what he had was not a Chev "Twin 4" but a 1918 Oldsmobile V8!

Now everytime I visit the Portland Swapmeet, I keep hearing about a Chev Twin 4 out there somewhere? I sure hope if its there - it is not all covered with Oregon moss!
KenK

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm assuming you're talking about the partial chassis mentioned in the other thread. Is it now going to be the basis for an urban legend? I would think that if there's a Chev. V-8 to be had in Oregon, JYD would be hot on the trail!
chevy

1924 Superior "F" Touring Car
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Well how about the story of a third Cooper Cool in Washington? :p :p I now know the whole story, after years of asking and know the guy that found it. If he said it was there then it is out there! I have been told it was a 4 door. The only problem is the guy that found it died about 15 years ago.

I've also heard stories of a V8 in Washington other then Don Ryans.

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord
VCCA Judging Committee Chair

The Great American Value for 1932
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yes, Brucie, that copper cooled hiding in a garage is a 4 door sedan. Also, Don Ryan's V-8 is a Canadian model.
:cool2: laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Perhaps we're straying a bit off the subject for the "Twin Four" forum, but this tale of the copper-cooled sedan is interesting to me. Is it known for an absolute fact that it's out there? Is it just not for sale? I've always loved stories of rare or special cars out there that are "known" but never found.
chevy

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
According to three different people I have talked to...it's out there and all three had seen the copper cooled sedan stored in a garage. However, this is some 15 years ago when they saw the car, and it absolutely was not for sale at that time. Perhaps Brucie (32 Confederate) can shed some more light on the subject since he is familiar with this story as well. :cool2: laugh laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Since Tom you’re the moderator of this area and you asked the question and lack of any other activity here! :rolleyes: :p

OK, Here we go! laugh

The story that I know about was pasted a long by Lee Matthews (VCCA #163) a long time member and founding member of our region. The story that he told me came to him from the person that found the car, Carter Helmick (VCCA #1824), also a long time member of our region, who is now gone to the BIG Dealership in the sky.

Now if Carter said he saw a copper cool, then I believe that he did, so here we go!

Sometime in the early 70's when we still had the Northwest meets in Centralia, Washington Carter went up early and was driving around looking for a car that he had heard about. He was not looking for the copper cooled. Anyway he some how ran across a 4-door copper cool some where around Centralia Washington. The person did not want to sell the car at the time.

Well that is all that I know, but as I said before I believe that Carter really did find a car.

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord
VCCA Judging Committee Chair

The Great American Value for 1932
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for the details. What a great "fishing" story! Who will be the lucky angler that will someday yank "Ol' Copper" outta the fishin' hole? It looks like we have pretty good confirmation he "he's down there somewheres." What a catch! chevy

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Interesting discussion going on here. It is good to know there are still some "big fish" out there to be latched on to someday.

Was surfing on another discussion site and came upon a thread with an interesting link. Check out the photo of the 1918 Chevy V-8.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/billd1/webdoc2.htm#2hmdngr

Interesting how-to on removing rust with a plastic bucket and battery charger. :eek:

John Lanning
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
This is the V8 engine that is still on display on this stand at the Pioneer Auto Show in Murdo, South Dakota.
KenK

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.