Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm trying to decide weather to get antique tags or regular licence plates fo my 28 Chevy Coupe? I'd like regular plates as I'd prefer to be able to drive it anytime, not just on weekends or to shows but I'm concerned about passing inspection on a 28 chevy. How tough are they when it comes to inspection? There's no seat belts for one thing. Are they going to get picky on tie rod ends or front end play ect, ect, like they do on newer cars? My car is pretty much stock. Is there anything I should do to bring it up to inspection standards? I live in Arlington Virginia.

Scott
sdakss@aol.com

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Every State has different requirements for car inspections. I can speak for the Texas requirements only.
If you register your 25 year old or older Chevy as an antique here, there is no inspection required but there is officially some limitation on how you can use your car i.e. tours, club functions, parades and shows only. You can't use it as a daily driver.
If you don't like the limitations the only alternative is a full State inspection which looks at smog output, saftey devices (lap belts, air bags etc.), lights, brakes, tire ware, turn signals, saftey glass, etc.. They will fail you if any of these areas are not functional or not up to specs.. For an older Chevy the inspection requirements are daunting. Therefore, most of us register as "Antiques" (this fits my age as well as my Chevys age!).
Bill

"Listen to the Roar of a Chevrolet Four!"
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Scott,

Another concern is insurance. I have a historical vehicle plate on my 28 and carry vintage car insurance. The premium for $18K full coverage is half what the liability only addition to my Auto Club Insurance was. I do have the limitations mentioned above on my policy but I don't think my state limits the plates. In any event the Hagerty Cops don't follow me to the super market so I don't worry about it. There was a guy waiting for me when I came out of the hardware store last year but he was admiring my old hot rod club plate ( I only have the historical plate on the back ). He's writing a book on old California hod rod clubs and wants to include ours. Our club president is former VCCA President Gene Clarey.
Herb

Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Most state inspections only require equipment that was mandated when the vehicle was manufactured. Emission testing is also evaluated based on vehicle age. Also most of the restrictions permit you to display the vehicle and to drive it to get repairs, etc. I don't believe that there is any problems as long as you don't drive it to work or the store too often. You can always claim that you were testing a recent repair or taking it to an old folks home for the inmates to see it or ?????? The reason that there are special plates are so we and others can enjoy the history that our vehicles represent.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Scott-
Give your Motor Vehicle department a call and see what their requirements are. In my state equipment such as seat belts are not required if they were not originally available on the car, and a Smog check doesn't apply before 1990 or so. Here, an inspection is required weather the vehicle is registered as an antique or not, and the tie rod ends, exhaust system, tires, king pins, etc., are checked for safety just as with any vehicle. As ChevyBill said, each state varies on their requirements. Sounds like Texas is a great place to be for antique vehicles! You probably drive it all year, too, Bill? mad wink

SPEEDLINE

"Life is completer in a boat!"
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
entsminger, best bet is to call the DMV in Va and ask. You might also want to check into Year of Manufacture Plates this lets you use 28 Va plates on your Chevy. Some states do this Calif is one. That I know does. There is no restrictions on driving with these plates as there is with Vintage plates but it does cost a little more.
Let us know how things go.

best of luck cool

See the USA in a Vintage Chevrolet

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.