Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#51217 01/06/02 07:13 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Herb,
Rick Quirin, who is rebuilding the stock engine in his '25 Touring [for Chev 4 Tours], asked me if there is anyone machining the Chev 4 block for some currently available replacement insert main bearings? I know you list a source on your web site in Washington for doing rod inserts.

Of course this brings up the subject of a full pressure vs splash oil system? And babbit vs the less forgiving modern steel back aluminum insert bearing,

In the case of my 1912 L4 a few years ago at Durango when it loss splash to the #1 rod, the crankshaft was not damage by the bearing pounding out because of the solfter babbit.

Bob Giovanine used Taylor Machine Shop here locally in Whittier for all his '25 Chev 4 block machining for his racing engine that used a new big bearing 5 brg crank with inserts. Jay Taylor has done inserts for Model A/B blocks as well as another 2-3 machine shops around the country.

Perhaps it would be easy for a shop that does Model A/B work to fit a Model B counterweight crank with inserts in to the '25 Chev 4 block [the racers choice], but for holdings things together, it would be wise to stud both the deck for the head and stud the bottom for steel bearing caps [or use 6 thu bolts that are nutted on top of the crankcase per Ralph Schenck].

Any suggestions or ideas Herb would be appreciated,
Regards, Ken

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

#51218 01/07/02 03:10 PM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Hi Ken,
I am in the process of doing this (and more) to a 28 Chevy engine. I will post a more detailed article when the results are in. Thanks!
-R

#51219 01/08/02 10:41 AM
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I have addresses for several shops in the So Cal area, ie EGGE, H & H, Nelkco, etc but it would help if folks all over could relate some first hand experience with such shops and what they have done to help make their early fours successfully take part in tours with the sixes.
This should be a really good continuing topic.
Herb

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.