Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#490263 03/07/24 01:40 AM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I came across a seat on the 'net that was stated to be for a 1940 Chevy pickup. (From the photo, it looks different from the torn up seat that came with the truck when I received it.) From the photo, it looks as though this seat would fold forward to allow access to the space behind the seat. Did the 1940 seat do that? Would this seat mount on the stock base?

I am new enough to my project truck (two weeks) that I am still pretty confused as to what fits, what would work, or what not to attempt.

I am considering either a redone original style seat or perhaps bucket seats out of a convertible so that they would have built in shoulder belts. (Some time spent doing accident investigation has convinced me that shoulder belts are a good thing.) BUT...I would assume that installing those bucket seats would not only really change the way the interior looked, but would require a significant amount of demolition and reconstruction.

If the seat in the photo would work, perhaps I should go that way. It is located almost 1000 miles away from me, in Bismarck, North Dakota.

Thanks,
Nick

Attached Images
Seat 1.jpg Seat 2.jpg
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Nick... you need to measure the width of your existing seat springs (Bottom seat springs)... and then have the owner of the new seat for sale measure that new seat width (lower seat cushion)... see if they match... it looks too wide to me for a '40 pickup...

1934 Chevrolet Master sedan
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Nick... you need to measure the width of your existing seat springs (Bottom seat springs)... and then have the owner of the new seat for sale measure that new seat width (lower seat cushion)... see if they match... it looks too wide to me for a '40 pickup...

1934 Chevrolet Master sedan
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for that suggestion. I will start there.
I now believe that the post for the seat for sale is a bogus post anyway. It was on a Facebook page for 1940 Pickups. I messaged the seller and asked him for the price. His response was surprisingly low...then my Facebook account got very weird.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Change your FB password!

Rusty

VCCA #44680
1 member likes this: Nick_in_Manitou

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.