Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Do I need a ballast resistor for a common 6 volt coil that’s out there on the market

Bill
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Using 6volt coil you should not need ballast resistor unless the car has been converted to 12v.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
1 member likes this: BillyLen
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Finally after struggling for several hours I was able to start it. But it runs pretty rough after sitting outdoors for a year without any activity. Maybe it’s ok due to the circumstances.

But it seems that it’s still out of adjustment.

The problem that I have is:
Starts perfectly with a the first turn (after warning up for a few minutes; I still use pyroil fluid when cold). Runs 10-20 seconds smoothly but on high revs after that stumbles and begins misfire erratically… but it won’t stall even when sounds like only one stroke operates. Spark plugs foul. Black dry soot. After deep cleaning of the spark plugs , does the same thing over and over again. Black smoke from tailpipe. Seems to be running little better with air cleaner/exhaust manifold detached from the carburetor. Starts without choke better.

Any ideas? Carburetor? Vacuum canister? Timing?

Bill
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Sounds like either it is getting an excess of fuel or late timing with the blackened plugs. Easiest thing to do is set timing and then start setting the carburettor.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.