Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Need some wisdom regarding the area on a 1948 cabriolet where the beltline tackstrip fastens to the body across the rear of the convertible top. On my car, It appears there is no way for water to exit the body if some should actually get into the recessed area where the rear beltline tackstrip fastens to the body. I do have one larger hole in the recess that would be under the tackstrip once it is instlled and was wondering if it were for a drain? Anyone out there that has knowledge of whether there should be a drain or if this is even something to be addressed since the top will overlay that area?

Attached Images
HoleInTackStripRecess.png
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
On my 1950 there is no drain. The top material covers that area.

Dick
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
These comments and pictures are for a 41 but I would guess the area in question is similar. The original heavy paperboard tack strip was crimped into a curved channel that matched the body line. The channel was then riveted to the body. In the attached pictures you can see the channel as well as the shinney black paint on the faces of the rivets. I think the hole in question is for the end rivet. On my 41, all of the layers of top fabric are fastened to the outside of the body preventing the elements from going into the well. I have more pictures if you need them. Mike

Attached Images
IMG_0738.JPG IMG_1584.JPG IMG_1611.JPG
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you for the feedback Dick. I suspected it was designed as you described but just wanted to make sure. I appreciate your informaiton.

Phil

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you Mike, for the feedback and pics (beautiful car!). The beltline of my car looks almost identical to yours (except mine has no paint right now) and I knew the top fabric overlapped the tackstrip but when i saw this nickle sized hole in the recessed where the tackstrip sits, it made me wonder if it were there for tooling, or drain, or whatever. You and Dick (above) are pretty much saying the same thing. Im thinking I will just make sure it is sealed and install everything as you have. Thanks again for the feedback! Much appreciated!

Phil

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.