Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#488606 01/10/24 07:22 PM
38chevy Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am ready to put the radiator in my '38. I have a rubber cushion that is supposed to go between the radiator and the cross member, but it doesnt seem like it is thick enough to keep the radiator from hitting the bolts. What am I missing? Thanks for your input!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I think the '38 mounting is similar to the '37. I just had my 1937 apart and this is the arrangement:

The radiator is attached to the rad shell by (6) bolts through sheet metal brackets mounted on the sides of the radiator. There should be captive nuts in the rad shell at the bolt locations.

The bottom of the radiator should not contact anything. The red shell is mounted to the frame cross member using two long stovebolts, The bolt heads are quite shallow and the square bosses under the heads locate in the slots in the bottom of the rad shell. There is no gasket between the bolt head and the rad shell and there should be lots of clearance between the bottom of the radiator and the U shaped channel in the rad shell where the mounting bolts are located.

There are rubber cushions between the rad shell and the crossmember, but should not be at all close to the radiator. You can stack more or less of the cushions to get the proper height of the rad shell for alignment of the rad shell, hood and body.

Hope this helps.

1 member likes this: 38chevy
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Look's like I posted this reply twice, But can't see how to edit (remove) the duplicate. Sorry

Moderator edit: I deleted the extra post for you.

Last edited by Tiny; 01/11/24 09:00 AM.
38chevy Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks (twice), Headlighter!:-)

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.