Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Looking at the door sills on my Confederate, and at other such vehicles, it appears that the sills ought to be stainless. Mine have been painted the same as the exterior of the car as shown in the photos. But on closer inspection, it doesn't appear that the sills are separate units, but are part of a wider unit that has been folded down to form the lower metal trim below the bottom of the doors. They may b ea little cruder than the proper sills, too. It also looks like they may be a single unit making up the sill for the front and rear doors, the sill passing under the bottoms of the door posts. Is that correct? I note that Filling Station lists [but is out of stock] of sills for the '32 sedan, and it looks like they may be a single piece serving both doors, but the description says trim is necessary, so it seems possible that such trim could include cutting separate front and read sills. Any advice much appreciated.

Attached Images
Chevy sill 1.jpg Chevy sill 2.jpg Chevy sill 3.jpg Chevy sill 4.jpg Chevy sill 5.jpg
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Jack. If I'm looking at your pictures correctly, those are not sill trim pieces. That is the rocker panel that covers the wood between the door openings. The sill trim pieces are a separate piece that sits on top of the rockers. Also, since it looks like you have a center post (between the doors) you have a 4-door. Normally the rocker panels on the 4 doors were a separate piece, but looks like someone may have welded it into the body to make it look like all one piece.
I'm no expert on particular models but originally not all models came with the sill trim piece. Guessing only the more expensive models did. I've seen a couple of places that sell the trim by the foot so it can be cut to fit either a 2 door or 4 door as you mention. I've seen the Filling Station is out of stock. There is a place on Ebay that has them here https://www.ebay.com/itm/115298193074
So either your car did not have stainless sills originally or someone has removed them.
Hope that helps

Last edited by Donner; 10/11/23 04:44 PM.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for this. Confirms what I suspected. Filling Station has the rockers and ebay has the sill plates so I guess I can retrofit it all to make things right., This is a Special Deluxe Sedan so I am sure it would have had the sills originally. Jack

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Welcome Jack. You can actually get both on Ebay, here are the rockers for a 4 door https://www.ebay.com/itm/351742121313?hash=item51e576d561:g:Qa0AAOSwdG9XRQWN
It's the same company the Filling Station gets theirs from. They are great to work with too. I also needed a 4 door rocker but only needed one, as they sell them in pairs. My driver side was in pretty good shape but my passenger side was in really bad shape to far gone to even think about repairing. I emailed them to see if they would sell just the one as i did not need both and they did. I will advise, their shipping is a bit slow, sometimes takes a couple of weeks but other than that I've ordered several things from them, a good company. Also, as with any aftermarket panels.. they usually need a little cut and trim tweek, push and pull to fit properly. :)

Good luck!

Last edited by Donner; 10/12/23 12:31 PM.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you so much! And I see you are in Martinsville. My kids grew up there and my daughter still lives in Shepherdstown. Nice area. I'm in Blacksburg, VA.

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
The special sedan models would have had the aluminum sill plates. There are generic ones that are cut to fit like the ones on eBay and there are sets made by Doorsills of NJ that are exact OEM replacements which would be a four piece set for your special sedan and they would have the correct patterns etched into them. The generic ones do not have the correct patterns as per the originals.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks for that tip. I'll check them out.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.