Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#485020 09/03/23 11:24 AM
old72er Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Would trouble on downshifting the 1930 Chevy (other than pure inexperience) be the cause of a clutch out of adjustment? Seems like upshifting would also be a problem too. In any case how does one know if it is an adjustment needed, as they do wear out and how to do an adjustment if necessary?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
most likely experience, upshifting is way easier than down shifting !! down shifting takes time and experience, one thing i note is at what speed to i upshift, that helps with what speed and gear you can downshift to.

as others noted you have to learn the sound of the engine to match rpms engine to transmission. double clutching to get them to match, takes time and practice, been driving my 29 & 30 for a few years and still not good at it. grind them here and there, but getting better :)

main way to know the clutch needs adjustment or going bad is having to put it to the floor to get it to shift/ disengage the transmission. unless you ride the clutch the clutch pads should last awhile. how long depends on driving style.

yes the clutch wears like any clutch. the main adjustment is adjusting the clutch pedal. the details are in the owners & repair manuals.

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.