Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#484256 08/12/23 03:38 PM
Hawkeye Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
I'm having wiper problems with my 1950. With the wiper motor sitting on the front fender (on a pad) and the vacuum hose connected, the motor operates the way it should. After I install it and connect the transmission arms without wiper arms, the shafts turn like they should. When I install both arms with blades, the arms stop about half way through. I removed the passenger side arm & blade and with just the drivers side wiper arm with blade, it works fine. After I install the passenger side arm & blade, it stops about half wat through it's cycle. Yes, I sprayed the windshield with water. Is there a place that needs to be lubricated on the transmission arms? When I installed them during restoration, both sides seem to happy campers. Any ideas? Thanks

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
There are lots of posts in multiple forums of Chat about these wiper motors. Search will show many results.

The key is that the grease in the vacuum motor gets hard so the seal around the flapper piston leaks. I used transmission stop leak to make mine work.

Plus they typically do not work well if at all on a dry windshield.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Is the right transmission stiff when worked by hand?

Gene Schneider
Hawkeye Offline OP
ChatMaster - 1,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 1,000
Both transmission arms move freely by hand. I removed the vacuum motor (again) and on the bench, I added several drops of ATF with the slider switch in the "ON" position. I worked the motor by hand to distribute the fluid. After that, I hooked up an extra piece of vacuum hose from the manifold to the wiper motor. After starting the engine, I ran the wiper motor for a short time. I replaced the vacuum motor in the car, installed both wiper arms and sprayed the glass with water. Ran the wipers for a short time and they BOTH seem to be working fine. Last summer, I did take apart the wiper motor to clean up all the old grease and dirt from inside and was able to save the gaskets. I read online that the grease that Trico used was very close to petroleum jelly. So that's what is in there now. The next thing I'm trying to figure out is adding an A/C vacuum reservoir so the wipers do not slow down when accelerating.

1 member likes this: Clement

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.