Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
DJSims Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I am restoring a tractor that uses a GM 590532 casing transmission. The 6 hp Wisconsin engine driving the tractor seems unlikely to have had the oomph to have broken the gearing inside the trans, but until the unit can be disassembled, I cannot get a parts list together.
I would be interested in who could be a source of gears, shafts and bearings for this era GM trans.

Doug

Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I have a few 37 transmissions and may be able to help once you get your list.

Dave

DJSims Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Dave - Thats the kind of response I would expect from the like minded friends on this forum!

Working to disassemble the tractor, but at 108 degrees in Tucson, only an early morning hour or two can be dedicated!

Doug

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
That casting 590532 is the 1932-36 master trans. 1937 parts won't work.
I have some pieces and might be able to help.

DJSims Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Pulled it into my air conditioned shop, and got a better look at the troubles. The input ball bearing could swap ball bearing locations, as badly worn as it is.

The shift lever is a blade inserted thru a stamped lockout guide, and the blade has worn to only 0.175 inch thickness. The trans on my other (twin) tractor has 0.250 thick blade, and is very much more precise. I may have the blade welded to proper thickness and grind or mill to the 0.250 dimension.

This tractor is not shifted on the fly, so syncro is not an issue. Max speed is 7 mph.

A shift lever, if available, would be considered!

Doug Sims

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Doug,
If the power input is by way of a pulley or sprocket on the input/pilot shaft (main drive gear in Chevy catalog), the side load would be hard on the bearing, if the shaft is not supported at the outer end.
I think welding and grinding the tip of your lever would be your simplest option if no one has a replacement for you. It is not a place where precision is required. Good luck.
Who is the manufacturer of your tractors? My friend is a collector of unusual and home made small tractors.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
DJSims Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
OOOppppsssss! Spoke too soon --

This is a Model A Gibson tractor of vintage about 1947. I wondered why there was so much caked grime on everything. The housing has been cracked for a total of ten inches, but only on the bottom. I would entertain a casing if available, but I might have to resort to JB Weld with cleaning, grinding and crossed fingers.

The cause of the problem must have been an object dropped under the cluster gear and wedged.

I have two of these tractors right now, and had picked this one up to have a project! Little did I know!

Doug

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Looks like now a "project" you have. laugh

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
DJSims Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
The two tractors have the same trans, but the casting numbers differ.

590532, 590695 are the GM numbers cast into the housing. I could change the input shaft to the tractor sprocket input if another trans became available.

Let me know if there is a savior for my project available!

Doug Sims

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I looked through my transmissions and I do have a 590532 complete with the shifter. Shipping would be crazy and grouchy old man labor to take it apart might be high. Know anyone going to Atlanta and back?

Dave

DJSims Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Mixed the JB Weld and gooed it this afternoon, and will know if leak free in a day or two.

I picked up an engine from NC a couple of years ago and shipped by Fastenal for reasonable on a pallet. I will see if my repair is a success, but having an alternate is comforting!

Doug Sims

DJSims Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Filled the trans with solvent and woo-hoo no leaking. The alignment and stress parts are ok to go. The ball bearings will be replaced and an oilite bushing will replace the needle bearing that I am unable to find, but at 7 mph max I am not concerned.

A project was wanted, and I found one!

Doug

1 member likes this: Dave39MD

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.