Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Happy Friday! I wasn't the one who disassembled my truck :( so I am having to figure out this puzzle. Today's piece is the part of the brake system. I see where it attaches to the frame -- just not sure in which orientation (the fixed connector to the brake pedal up or down? Or is that a connection point for the hand brake?

Also, there is a large piece in the center. Two "L" shaped pieces riveted together. One end allows the cross tube to rotate (I assume this is a support). Where does the other end attach? It has two bolts. What do they bolt to?

If someone could snap a couple of pictures under their '27 truck, it would be very helpful to see everything. :)

Thanks,
John

Thanks!!

Attached Images
crosspiece-2.jpg

John & Peggy Milliman
Editors/Publishers, Stovebolt.com

1927 Chevrolet Capitol 1-Ton
1949 Chevrolet 3804 1-Ton pickup
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
John, I don't think the assembly shown in the pic above goes to your truck. It looks very similar to the center assembly in my 1928 truck. That assembly actuates both the rear AND front brakes.

I just posted pics and descriptions of Lurch's brake setup over at Stovebolt. Here's a link to that post: Pics of Lurch's brake setup

Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Lou Offline
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
. Hi John, .
My camera decided to not communicate with my computer so I can't send actual photos. My Scanner still works. .
In the first photo if you have a 4 speed transmission and front wheel brakes in your LP, the U-joint bell housing would look like upper left #590353. If you have a 3 speed, #590314. You can see where the "L" brackets bolt. If you have a 1927 LM or a 1928 LO with out front brakes, the U-joint bell housing would look like #551289 for 4 speed and #590229 for 3 speed.
The second photo is diagram of 1928 AB.
The third photo is photo of a 1928 Holden.
Lou .

Attached Images
Page 24_0002 bell .jpg page 44_0001 brake rods .jpg 1928 Holden trans .jpg
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Lou, John has a '27 LM, not a '28 LP, so the parts for the front brakes do not apply to his truck. That includes the L bracket in the middle.

Thanks, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks Gents -- Confirms what I may have figured out today.

Here's what I was able to piece together roughly.

Question -- I have multiple sets of pedals. Some are rectangular, some are oval. Which are correct for '27? I put the oval ones on for the fit check because I thought they looked older ...

Attached Images
pedal-connected.jpg pedal-connected2.jpg

John & Peggy Milliman

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for those pics, Lou! Good to run into you again, BTW! That shows how that mystery piece of mine fits. Other than the obvious, what's the difference between the 3-speed and the 4-speed trannies? Are they interchangeable? Is there a benefit to using one over the other? And how would I ID them? I have three transmissions with this project. They all seemed identical except one does not have a reverse lockout lever.

John & Peggy Milliman

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The 3 and 4 speed transmissions can be bolted into either a '27 or '28 Chevy one ton truck.

The one that you have without the reverse lockout lever is a three speed. The others have four speeds.

Second, third, and fourth gears in the four speed are the same gear ratios as the first, second, and third gears in the three speed.

First gear in a four speed tranny is a granny low gear. It is PERFECT for parades, pulling up stumps, or climbing really steep hills (albeit slowly).

There's a difference in the u-joints between '27 and '28. '27 LM trucks with the 3 speed used the same u-joints as cars (smaller trunnion bearings). The '28 LO and LP trucks used heavier bearings that are larger in diameter.

Although both types of yokes work with the output shaft of the tranny and the drive shaft end in the torque tube, the two types of yokes cannot interchange the trunnion bearings or their clamps.

Lurch's worn out u-joint assembly is an original from '27. I have a lead on a used '28 LP u-joint that is hopefully better than what I've got.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.