Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Online Content
Shade Tree Mechanic
I worked on the brakes last year and have made adjustments to dial them in as far as being able to stop the car. What I have noticed is that when applied quickly and firmly to stop the car there is a hard pull to the right. When pressing more gently and slowing down over time the pull is noticed much less but still present. I have made some adjustments to try and correct it but haven’t been able to resolve. Mechanical brakes lined with McMaster carr lining. I appreciate any steps to try and fix this.

Last edited by Part16john; 05/07/23 05:10 PM.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Is there any contamination like grease/dirt on the right front brake shoes?

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Are the brake shoes "centralized"? If not one side may be using one shoe and the other two. Rust on the brake drum can also cause pulling to one side vs. other.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
i know on my 29 & 30 when i adjusted them, i had to drive it around let them set in and then tweak them so that when i stomped on the brake it stopped in a straight line. it takes time and patience but the end result is worth it. since each wheel has adjustments you have to tweak each one so they are equal in braking power.

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
1 member likes this: Part16john
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I keep forgetting about the need to centralize for mechanical brakes. That is key.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Hello Part16John,
Back off on right side brake drum drag or tighten up on left side brake drum drag. Also equalize all tire pressures to assure that all tire diameters are the same and verify wheel bearings are not failed/frozen. An airplane has independent braking, so, with an applied right brake tends to turn the aircraft around to the right, especially with tail wheel/tail dragger airplanes. This being normal for maneuvering. Four wheel cars and trucks however need equal brake pressure application for their normal maneuvering. If your car pulls to the right, the right is tight and the left is loose.

1 member likes this: Part16john
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Online Content
Shade Tree Mechanic
I really appreciate all the advice and appreciate the clarification on which side to adjust when it’s pulling. In all my reading I had confused myself on what adjustments to actually make. I have been adjusting the screw but it’s been a while since i centralized the brakes so I’m going to do that again and make some further adjustments on each side. We have a park nearby with a nice sized parking lot to test and adjust. I’ll report back after making some adjustments.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.