Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#480847 04/20/23 09:47 AM
piddler Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
A couple of weeks ago I was on my way to a local show and about 40 miles from home the left front wheel bearing failed. I pulled the hub and planned to replace the bearing. I called Advance an Autozone and found the bearings but no seal but they would not deliver. It wouldn't have mattered. The outer race was stuck on the spindle.

I called AAA about noon and they showed up at 4:30. Very frustrating day. When I got the car home I cut the old race off and replaced the bearing and repacked and adjusted the bearings on the other side.

A few days later I heard a loud squeal when I engaged the clutch. It did not do it all the time and only when the clutch was partially engaged. I was happening enough to be annoying, so I started the second part of the adventure.

Remember, I am new to Corvairs.

I removed the drive train and at present I have the engine and transmission/trans axel separated. The throw out bearing looks good but the pilot bushing not so much. I am waiting for parts to come in to start putting things back together. The removal of the drive train took a lot longer than it probably should have because of my inexperience on these cars. I learned a lot during the process.

Just a little up date. Hopefully some other Corvair guys jump in with some of their experiences

1951 styline deluxe sport coupe w/54 engine and power glide
Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The front wheel bearings of your Corvair are conventional and simple.
The rear wheel bearings on the 1965 and up are just the 0ther way around.
The rears are like a 1963 and up Corvette but smaller. When they go out you can expect many dollars of repairs and repairs must be done with special tools and experince,
I would suggest that you do a lot of research on the subject and Clarks Corvair should be able to supply the information and parts if needed.

The pre 1965 Corvairs had a completely different type f beaing and were not designed to be lubricated but there is a process of greasing them. When they fail the axle and WHEEL can pull out resulting in no brakes and loss of control o the vehicle.

You must remember that these vehicles are well over 50 years old and any lubricant that was present has long lost its ability to lubricate and turned to hard rubber like material.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.