Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Velder Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello All,
I am a new member on this forum, but will probably be a regular as I am doing a complete renovation on a 85 Chevy C10.
My question right now is, about the carburetor, should I rebuild, or replace?
Been looking at some of those Holly or Edelbrock units and am wondering what the general consensus is, Replace or Rebuild?
I know I have problems with the carburetor, I have to crank for quite a while before she will start, not running real smooth, and dying unexpectedly. Maybe just a cracked seal?
I am replacing the entire fuel system, new gas tanks, fuel lines, vapor lines, pump, etc.
The current carburetor is the original Rochester 4bbl. I would prefer not to spend 500 bucks on a new one, but I really want this old girl to run good when I finish this project.
Any help, suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Wilwood Engineering1955-1957

Willwood Engineering

Wilwood Engineering designs and manufactures high-performance disc brake systems.
Wilwood Engineering, Inc. - 4700 Calle Bolero - Camarillo, CA 93012 - (805) 388-1188

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I am probably in the minority with this response. I am a big fan of the Rochester QuadraJet. At one time I owned 3 vehicles that used that model.

Between the vacuum controlled air valve above the secondaries and the tapered rods controlling the fuel flow through the primary jets, they could be pretty efficient. They are also a spread bore design. The primary bores are smaller than the secondaries. That means they have higher velocity air flow at part throttle for better throttle response and economy. The secondaries are larger for high flow when you really open the throttle for power.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
If you are lucky to find a person that knows how to rebuild and properly adjust the original carb. I would have it rebuilt. That carb. is controled by the computor and veriuus sensors and metering rods need to be adjusted with engine rruning, like setting the dwell of the meteing rods.

Gene Schneider
Velder Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you both for your input, I really appreciate it.
Unfortunately I don't know any where to send it to be rebuilt, or any one to tune it once it is.
I think I will try to rebuild myself and then see what I can do about tuning. Any advice about how to do that?

Backyard Mechanic
Online Content
Backyard Mechanic
Might want to also check a forum for the square body trucks. They might have a source for the parts you need in a single kit. They may also know of a site that sells the parts, lines etc. you need. This community is great but for my 87 Monte Carlo I have found a form dedicated to that specific model had more detailed knowledge.

I have found that having an old car is a constant project that is never done. I think that is a good thing. Keeps me learning new things. Having two from different eras is just a form of higher education.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
A couple of things to consider:

(1) Of all of the components in the fuel and ignition system on that new a vehicle, the carburetor probably has the least probability of failure! I would do lots of testing before even removing it from the engine.
(2) While emission testing has slacked off in the last decade, that vehicle is still subject to Federal smog regulation. There are probably zero new aftermarket carburetors that are legal should you ever get checked.

Jon

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air

Owner, The Carburetor Shop (in Missouri)
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Just looking at your symptoms:

"I have to crank for quite a while before she will start" - very possibly a function of todays fuel, which tends to evaporate from the carburetor after sitting overnight. Once started, it should start fairly easily the remainder of the day.

"dying unexpectedly" 99.9 percent probability of ignition problems.

As I posted earlier, testing is in order; just might save you a bundle.

Jon

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air

Owner, The Carburetor Shop (in Missouri)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
2 members (Headlighter, Jonjet), 74 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
SabrinaKarras, Speedy1
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,076
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.