Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have a 1924 Chevrolet Chemical Boyer Apparatus Equpped Fire Truck on a Chevrolet 1-Ton Chassis.
The truck weighs approximately 3,200 and I cannot find or do I know the correct tire pressures that I should be using on this vehicle. The truck has (2) different size 4&6 ply tires with inner tubes:

Front Tires Continental Commander 4-ply 31 x 4
Rear Tires Goodrich Silvertown Cord 6 ply 34 x 4 1/2

The vehicle is currently on blocks and is coming out of storage where it has been for several years.

Looking to put it back on the ground and would appreciate your help with suggested pressures.

Thanks in advance for your help.

mike@720
Become a Member!

JOIN THE VCCA and get access to the member-only features of the forum, including the ability to upload photos. You'll also receive our monthly magazine "Generator & Distributor". Yearly membership as low as $25!

ChatMaster - 3,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 3,000
Hi and welcome to the VCCA's website!

Sounds like a very cool truck. Got pics? We'd love to see them. You can attach photos by using the Full Editor to compose your post and within the Full Editor is the Attachment Manager, where you can upload your pics.

There should be a psi specification on the tires. Are they new or old? New can hold the pressure listed on the tires. Old ones (with new inner tubes) should have less pressure in them to be safe.

I have a 1927 one ton truck that weighs 3100 pounds. It has a big oak cattle cage in the back. My tires front tires are 6.50-20 and the rears are 7.00-20.

My tires are not new, but I the inner tubes are only one year old. I run it with 40 psi all around.

Cheers, Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks Dean for the quick reply...Right now I do have 40 psi in all of them...One of the members in our local region who is familiar with some of the earlier years suggested 40 psi at our last get together and helped me later to pt a new inner tube in the right front 31 x 4.

Attaching one pic with write-up about the FT...This is my first post in the Forum so it may or may not get to you.

Thanks again,
Michael

Attached Images
img085.jpg

mike@720
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Sounds like a truck load of fun. With only old 4ply tires on the front I would be careful with any load you put on it.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Welcome! Looks like a great truck -- have fun with it. I have a 1929 Chevy 1.5 ton pumper fire engine which I thoroughly enjoy. There is a forum on this site specifically for the fire trucks, with lots of good information there. Again, welcome!

All the Best,

Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.