Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
lclapp Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a working wiper motor with arm that came on my 1929 Chevrolet 1.5 ton truck. See pic.

At minimum, I need a blade to fit the existing arm. Both, a new blade and a new arm that fits the motor's output shaft would be nice. I can find no identification markings on the motor (the clip on the arm says "Canada, 1935"), but it does not look like any Chevrolet vacuum motor of the period that I have seen.
Based on my research, I have found similar looking motors (Lucas, International, Trico-Folberth and Thorn), but I can find no info on their blade or arm fitments. I'm hoping someone recognizes my motor's output shaft as being of a common design and can point me to a suitable arm and blade, or recognizes the arm's clip as being of a common design and can point me to simply a suitable blade.

In addition to the info in the pic, the overall length of the arm is ~8 3/4" and I am led to believe that a truck blade would be 8". Do this dimensions make sense?

Any help appreciated.

Pic:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ma00jdwsacrocp6/existing%20vac%20wiper%20motor%20and%20details.png?dl=0

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,000
I have a '25 touring that has that motor on it. I have seen other '26 to '28 touring cars with that same wiper motor. My thought was that it would blend in on the windshield frame better with that shape than a boxy Trico wiper motor. The two '29 closed cars I have have the original Trico motors. Those mount above the windshield on a small cast pot metal spider type mount. The trucks had tilt out windshields and may have used a different model wiper motor. Maybe someone with a '29 to '31 truck could chime in.

Art

lclapp Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Art, Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply. I'm glad to hear there are other's out there with the same motor. Gives me hope that I can find an arm and blade.
Have you had to purchase a replacement arm or blade for your motor? If so, might you have any brand, part number, supplier info?
Does your arm look like mine? Does it attach similarly to the motor? Does it have the same blade clip? If same clip, then a pic of your blade would be most helpful. Without pn's, all this will help me to at least know what I'm looking.
Sorry for all the questions! No good deed goes unpunished, right?

Larry

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Larry,
I wonder if your wiper arm might have been cut from a type with a more conventional upper end.
Does the end look "factory cut"? Maybe Art will come back with some info on the arm and clasp on his car.
I have some blades and arms. I'll look through them and see what I might have to help you.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
lclapp Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Mike,
The upper end of my arm does not have the 'chiseled' look as if cut by Linesman's pliers. See pic:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/agw0qws1yynrnii/motor%20end%20of%20wiper%20arm%20vs%20cut%20wire.png?dl=0

Because of the simplistic way my arm is attached to the motor shaft (for example, it has no spring mechanism to keep the blade against the windshield), I've likewise wondered if the 'conventional' upper end of my arm was cut off. I'm hoping someone can steer me to a more conventionally attaching arm with a mating blade.

Thanks for your feedback and for searching through your inventory!

ChatMaster - 1,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,000
My '25 touring is up in Vancouver so I cannot just go out and look.The arm you have may not contact the windshield well enough in the closed position if it is adjusted for the open position. I have seen wiper blades that the connection style you have will work with. With the old wooden bodied cars it is not a good idea to drive them in any wet weather. Visibility sucks and the braking with an open band drum goes to crap.

lclapp Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Art,
Just to clarify, on my truck the motor mounts to the windshield's frame and tilts with the frame as the window is opened and closed. I am in complete agreement in regards to avoiding driving in the rain! I just thought it would be nice to take advantage of my working vacuum motor and to make it as original and as functional as possible. Thanks for your help, and when you make it to Vancouver maybe you could send me some pics of your motor, arm and blade. And if you come across a blade that mates with my arm, point me to it.

ChatMaster - 1,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,000
Will do. That scenario fits with how it is mounted on the '25 touring in that it is mounted to the windshield frame.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (ruscar, beachbum, AFMsteve, 1 invisible), 82 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,063
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.