Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello all.
I work for a company that works on RVs.
We recently had a customer come to us with an 85 Fleetwood Jamboree that wouldn't start. It's built on a Chevy G30 with the engine swapped to a 396.
I figured this out and can get it running.
But an alternator issue has come up.
This thing has two batteries. One for the engine and one for "house." These banks are normally separated by an isolator solenoid. Which was one of the issues I have already fixed.
After I got the it running I realized the alternator wasn't working. I pulled it, got it tested and when it tested bad, I replaced it. After installing the new one, it immediately started charging at 18V. After a couple of normal checks I pulled it again and had the new one tested. Two different parts stores and it tested good at both. I re-installed it and still had the same issue.
I dove deeper into the wiring and realized the alternator was connected to the House bank (along with the starter) so it was probably reading 1 voltage while trying to get to another so it was increasing the output trying to get there but couldn't.
I rewired the start/charging system back to the way it should be. Alternator no has a direct connection to the engine battery. But now it isn't charging at all. While it was running, the engine battery voltage was sitting at 12.05 (+/- 0.01) and not going up.

It has a pretty nasty coolant leak so I can't run it for very long until I get that fixed.

I have replaced the connector on the alternator and that didn't help.
The main power wire for the ignition was connected with an alligator clamp. That has been replaced with a 40amp fuse and hardwired.

The grounds look "decent" but I plan to clean those up and check again.

Any advice is appreciated.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I replaced the Body ground with a fresh wire and a clean spot on the firewall.
No change.

ChatMaster - 1,000
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,000
Sounds like someone has been mucking around with the wiring and you are stuck sorting out their mess. So when the engine is running the alternator should be charging both batteries by energizing the extra isolation solenoid. When it is not running the extra solenoid should disconnect the "truck" circuit from the "house" circuit. That way if the owner runs down the "house" battery they won't be stranded with a run down "truck" battery and a non running vehicle. The alternator, starter, vehicle driving lights, and all the items for the "truck" chassis should be on that circuit. The alternator should be monitoring the voltage for the "truck" battery. Some alternators need a draw to charge. If the alternator does not sense a draw it wont charge at all. Most newer alternators are the one wire alternator type. In this instance you might need a 2 wire alternator to be able to use that second circuit to operate the extra isolation solenoid. I didn't see an output listed but it probably should be 40 to 60 amps at least.

I think you are on the right track but need to talk with the owner about getting his vehicle back to factory specs. It is going to take a little time and money to get the vehicle dependable again.

Please let the forum know what you find.

Art

Last edited by beachbum; 03/04/23 02:05 AM. Reason: added text for clarification

Link Copied to Clipboard
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

Member Photos
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
by DreamChevy, February 17
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
My 1933 Chevy 2 Dr. Sedan
by 1939Chevy1, November 24
Back on the road 79 years later
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
2 1927 Chevrolet Trucks
by 1927TRUCKS, June 7
Who's Online Now
4 members (Keith Knox, Stovblt, Planepal, 1 invisible), 83 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
NeilA, Jayhicks, Tomvanhouten, Dads29Chevy, Tractorman
18,308 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
aristech, RalphL, tonysk
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics59,071
Posts429,064
Members18,308
Most Online1,133
Jan 22nd, 2020

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.