Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#479150 02/23/23 07:01 PM
48wood Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Does anyone know of a spray paint that will approximate the color of the 48 steering column?

ralph koal
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
During the restoration of my 1948 station wagon I was unable to find an off shelf, brown spray can that was dark enough to match the steering column and center portion of the steering wheel. I did find however, that DuPont Spectramaster color YS156 from their Solid Color Library is a near exact match and had a small quantity mixed in their Nason product line. The down side is the additional cost of the reducer, the activator and having to spray it. FYI, color YS238 is good match for the outer portions of the steering wheel.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
For the column and lower dashboard of the ‘46 I found Krylon Fusion “Matte River Rock” is not as dark a tan as the original, but looks authentic when done. I know it’s not the same for ‘48, but I hope this helps others.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I have also found that the Rustoleum brand 2xUltra Cover Satin Espresso is pretty close to the dark brown of the shift lever , parking brake lever and other brown painted interior parts

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.