Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
WI_Jeff Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hello again to all. Been in a funk for over a year and now trying to get back into my 50 Styleline. I converted to 12 volts and upgraded from the 216 to a 235 engine (from a '56). I have the PerTronix electronic ignition kit and I think it bit the dust. Checked out a few places and cannot find anyone besides PerTronix who makes an electronic ignition kit for a 12 volt, straight 6 Chevy. Does anyone know where and what to get that would be better than the PerTronix?

The darn thing idles great, but when I put any load it starts to miss and die out. New plugs, rebuilt carb and new fuel tank and lines. Open for any suggestions. Thanks to all... Jeff

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I would suggest that you put the points back in and see if it solves the problem. If it does throw away the Petronix and use the dependal ighnition system your car was born with.
As far as the coil is concerned the car will run the same with either a 6 volt or 12 volt coil.,,,,,if the coil is good.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by WI_Jeff
Does anyone know where and what to get that would be better than the PerTronix?

... Jeff

Better than the pertronix?

What? Points and condenser

Where? Just about any parts store.

Just check the country of origin, and stay away from those made in China.

Jon

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air

Owner, The Carburetor Shop (in Missouri)

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.