Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#478464 02/03/23 02:28 PM
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Dear all! Will anyone have an answer to a clicking sound in my engine when running idle. When driving no sound and runs very well. Toptuned valves,new lifters and no leaks. Fuel pump arm revised. Oilpress 5 to 14. Th clicking has always been and only in idle. All answers most welcome! Thanks in advance!
Michael kiersgaard , Denmark

Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Timing gear, water pump, generator, remove fan belt an see of it helps.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
It also could be a valve push rod slightly bent and/or the side cover of the engine bolted down too tightly and getting too close to the push rods. If you loosen the two acorn nuts on the side cover while it's running and the sound changes, that might confirm it.

Good luck with it.

All the Best, Chip

"It's wise to choose a SIX"
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you Chip! I will try this as I have not had my mind there!! But really it sounds like coming from just behind ,to the back , of the oilpump but when running the engine at idle and holding on with a stick to the lifters with the cover off the sound do not change so I doubt it can be the lifters ....but the idea of the cover may touch I will try tomorrow!! But engine running really nice - 92 years old and newer restored !!! We just went for a 100 miles trip and what a pleasure!! Strange if no other Chevy 1931 owners do not recall this clicking ...even it is not what I would call a serious bad sound I feel sure that it was not build into a Chevrolet on purpose! Thanks for the thoughts!
Michael

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello chew nut!
Thanks for the input ...but the noise/sound seems to come from aft of the oil/distributer unit ...and could be something with the timing wheels ... I hope not as we then are into the camshaft. Anyway the engine spins nicely when at work!!
Thanks for your thoughts!
Michael juni in

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Possible wrist pin noise. The one I had always seemed loudest at idle.

Dick

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you Dick!
What is exactly the wrist pin and where do I find it ..sorry for my ignorance but danish is a bit different ...however I guess it is the shaft of the oilpump and the distributer for the sparkplugs. If it is , it corresponds to what I think I can hear with a stetoscope - so called big screwdriver .. around that part. If you have a specifik solution to this it will be welcome!!
Thanks a lot!
Michael

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
A wrist pin is the device that connects the piston to the connecting rod.

https://www.howacarworks.com/images/142/undefined_w1400.jpg

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I would try to remove sparkplugcables one by one, and check if it`s related to a certain cylinder/piston/connecting rod.
If clicking sound change/dissappear you know where to concentrade your search.

PS. nice to see another Dane on here, you are in the best place to get help with your 1931.

Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello Morten!
Thanks for your welcome! Maybe the cars will meet some day ... Pulling off the spark one by one has been tried and make no difference with the sound ... Seems a little tricky with out taking the whole thing apart ..
Thanks to Dick .. You may be right with the wrist pin... But I hope not..
Michael

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
The only way I know to check the wrist pins is to remove the pan and check for scoring on the cylinder walls.

Steve D
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Just a guess but my experience that a bent pushrod that's tapping on the side cover will have a tinny hollow type of noise. I'm a proponent of KISS (keep it simple stupid), look at the simple stuff first. To me the description is an out of adjustment lifter. Easy to check and rectify if that's the problem. A bent pushrod could still be the issue since it might flex enough to make the ticking sound but not bent enough to strike the side cover.

Last edited by Tiny; 02/04/23 11:42 AM.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Buy a mechanics stethoscope with a long probe so you can better isolate the location of the noise.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks to all for all inputs!
Had the rocker cover and side of today but no solution found. All lifters are new an when holding on to them nothing changes ..and it was also clicking with the old set. I think the answer is a wrist pin but will continue with the simple things before going further.
Had a nice drive today ..engine works super and is lively ..and no noise to be heard at speed!
Thanks again for all positive suggestions!!
Michael

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
I assume that you removed the pan and checked the rod bearing clearances. A loose rod will click at no-load or light load. Under load the noise will disappear.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
hard to answer a question without HEARING it, a guessing game at best...
if my 1929 aint tapping it aint running wink

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thank you everybody!! Really worthwhile to have such company!!
I have taken out shims on 5 of the crankshaft bearings .. it did make a difference and I feel sure that I will find the last one still ticking in idle .. but will wait a little.
The car just passed the 8 year inspection we have in Denmark .. and with aplaus! .. so next time it will be a100 year old vehicle going to pass this .. it is not a problem to the car .. but I wonder if I will be the driver!!
Fantastic engineering!!
Thanks to everybody for good inputs !!
Michael

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.