Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
KevinT Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi all, looking for a little help. I recently became the owner of a 1930 chevy 3 window coupe. It's currently not running. It has a six-cylinder which I assume is a 216. The carburetor (RJH-08) is heavily leaking fuel. I'm going to rebuild it. My question is the choke lever is completely stuck. At least I think it's the chock lever. It has a cotter pin just to the left of the lever. I ordered a rebuild kit from the filling station. I posted a pic of the car and carb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Images
IMG_1251.jpg IMG_1259.jpg
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Actually the original engine is a 194 cu. in. six. The fact that the choke is frozen presents a problem for a personal rebuild. I have rebuilt several hundred of those carburetors. My recommendation is to try to loosen the choke by a multitude of short applications of a good penetrating oil. Very light tapping on the choke arm (yes very light!) occasionally might help. You can try to carefully rotate the choke ball with some needle nose pliers but just understand that the standpipe is fairly fragile. If it is broken then a rebuild gets much more expensive. It takes several special tools to remove all the parts and clean it thoroughly. Good luck. If you want it rebuilt get back to me ether by PM or email.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
KevinT Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Hi Chipper. I don't want to screw this carb up so I might be interested in having it done. I'm not sure I know how to PM. Will give it a try.

KevinT Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Chipper I sent you an email. Thanks again.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Kevin,
I sent you a PM. Look for the flashing envelope in the upper right corner of the page. Click on it to see the message. I'll look for your email.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Chipper is the man, Done 2 of them for me to date, I have no complaints, great work...
put it in a box, ship it out, wait (typically a short one depending on work load), get package back, open up package, bolt on, connect, run :)

AACA - VCCA - Stovebolt - ChevyTalk
Love the Antique Chevrolet's from 1928-1932
The Beauty, Simplicity, History, and the Stories they Tell
KevinT Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks, that's just what I'm going to do.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.