Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#47122 07/17/03 02:48 PM
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Does anyone have any good experience with covered rear spring cosmetic restoration. The covers look like they have a rust resistant zinc or tin type of steel and should clean up. I am wary of chemical or media stripping as grit or chem residue could be left in the leaves under the covers. I do not want to leave them as is because they would look old on a refinished frame under a restored car. I will most likely use an epoxy or similar finish on frame and suspension that will be more durable than 1938 paints as this car will be a driver and I want the resto to last over the years. Original color match is my goal, but will over restore as to quality of finish to produce a more durable and nicer looking result. I would try exact match of materials and finish quality only if this car were to become a trailer queen or museum lump. Thanks for any guidance.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The spring cover material is "thin gauge terne plate" acording to the 1934 description (the first year to have metal covers as standard eqp.)When new it looks like zinc or lead.They were a gray color and not shiney when new.If the old ones need "recoloring" some kind of silver-gray slight metalic paint would be about as close as you could get for color.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I was thinking of steel wool cleaning and clear non gloss urathane. the exposed spring portions I could electric wire brush to remove any suface rust before the non gloss urathane. I take it that lubrication of the springs is not recommended. Do you know if the spring shackles and shock links were black like the frame?

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I see no reason why you couldn't do that to the covers-if they are in that good condition.The shackles and links were black-the bolt thru the shackles and grease fittings are unpainted.Most bolts never got painted-the were not silver but the gray treated (black oxide) look.The rear spring covers should be packed with grease.There was a tool for that but try to fing one.I install a small grease fitting in the existing holes.Requires enlarging hole slightly with a drill and drilling thru the cloth wraping.Pump full of grease-it can get messy-On my cars I drilled another hole midway between the existing one and the end of the spring to get more grease into the working area.Keep paper under the springs for a few days as some grease will squeeze out.If you can't find greasing holes in your springs you may need to drill them-some cars had no holes.They ride much nicer after greasing.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Gene, is this the special rear spring greasing tool you were refering to?
chevy -Bob

[Linked Image from home.rochester.rr.com]

-BowTie Bob
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I have one of those! That is one cool tool for greasing the rear springs with the metal covers. yipp laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Thats not quite the same as the GM Kent Moore #595 that I used but very close.Am I being too pickey?...It belonged to a friend and when he mover away I had to devise a new way....Kent Moore stills supplies the special tools for GM (and Harley-Davidson)

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I've got to get me one of those.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Ya, both the "Lubroclamp" and the Kent Moore #595 work great! I've had my "Lubroclamp" for at least 25 years, and it even looks cool just laying around on the work bench. And, it's a good conversation item as well, since most dudes that see it have no idea as to what it is or what it does. :eek: :eek: laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Let me carry this topic one step further if I may.
What are my options to repair/replace damaged and missing cover pieces? Does someone still make them or do I need to make me a set of bending jigs for sheet metal and fabricate my own?

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
If you can't find greasing holes in your springs you may need to drill them-some cars had no holes.
Gene,
I've looked & looked for those holes, but never could fine any. Where should the hole(s) be located and what size are they?
Thanks,
chevy -Bob

-BowTie Bob
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I have never seen a cover without holes but I know that the shop manual mentions it may be necessary to drill the holes.My '39 had holes and the NOS springs I installed on my '34 had them.The factory cover holes were midway (front to back on the cover)on the bottom of the spring.I drill another hole midway between that and the end of the cover as the grease dosen't always flow to freely thru the old wrapping inside the covers.I use a 7/64" drill to enlarge the existing hole so the grease fitting threads in.It enlarges the hole very slightly-perhaps a 1/64" of an inch.Car must be jacked up with wheels hanging free -Takes a bit of pumping with a hand grease gun but seems to use less than a half a tube of grease.I use moly grease......As another leaf spring greaseing device-I have a C clamp with a V wedge on screw end.It was used to spread the leaves on uncovered springs so they could get grease between the leaves.It came from my father-in-laws tool collection.I'm sure that it was from the teens or twentys......Project48-I know of no way covers could be made so they would be flexible etc.at least no practile way.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Once again, thanks, Gene. I'll take another look for 'em!
chevy -Bob

-BowTie Bob
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The spring tool shown is broken, the original has a sharp extended point to fit into the holes in the spring wrap. I looked for one of these for 4 years, and was talking to a friend at a recent swap meet and he told me there was one in a box of tools two tables down. Actually there were two one looked like the photo and the other looked like new. Guess which one I paid $5.00 for!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Hummm.........the broken one?? Ha ha! yipp :eek: laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Well now that there is a picture I wil just have to make one of those out of a old "C" clamp, before I just drilled a hole and threaded a Zerk fitting into the cover, I guess that is the shade tree way? Eh?

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Ya, but ya gotta have the shade tree first! :cool2: :eek: :eek: laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
JYD, I made sure of having a shadetree, I planted 7 of them when I first bought the property, I didn't even think about building a shop building back then, just knew I would need a place to work on my old cars and a limb to hang a chain hoist on! YEAh! ARF! ARF!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Ya, that should work. But, if you are like me, you probably planted those seven shade trees right smack dab in the middle of an area where a shop could go, so if ya ever built the shop ya gotta cut them there shade trees down! Been there and done that! :( :( :( :( :(

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Glyn, There must be different designs of these tools, as the end of the Lubriclamp tool I have isn't broken. It has a threaded end that threads itself into the hole in the spring cover, kind of like a sheet metal screw. It isn't shown, as it's retracted into the head in the pic. For $5 each, maybe you should have bought both of the ones you saw!
chevy -Bob

-BowTie Bob
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
No JYD, I wasn't that smart, I planted two Pecan trees right where the shop was built ( of course a few years after the Pecan trees started to produce a goodly amount of nuts!) the trees made some pretty good meat smoking wood after they were cut down!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Bowtie Bob is correct, the clamp shown in the above photo is not broken. I just dug out one of mine that looks exactly like the one in the photo. As you will notice in the photo you can see a shaft between two knurled knobs. That shaft is internally spring loaded, so if the shaft with the zerk fitting is pushed in towards the inside of the clamp, the pointed end that goes into the spring cover hole extends out from the base of the clamp. When not in use, the internal spring retracts the pointed end into the clamp body to protect it. yipp laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
DUUUUUH, Say dere JYD would you splain dat again the.......As you will notice in the photo you can see a shaft between the two knurled knobs. That shaft is internally spring loaded, so if the shaft with the zerk fitting is pushed in towards the inside of the clamp, the pointed end that goes into the spring cover hole extends out from the base of the clamp..... When not in use, the internal spring retracts..... the pointed end ....into the clamp body to protect it. shaft is between.....and the knurleey knobs are .......?????

:confused: :confused: chevy wink chevy bigl

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
A picture is worth a thousand words....here's 2,000 worth!!

Here the Lubroclamp with the tip extended:

and here it is with the tip screwed into a piece of sheet metal as it would be into the spring cover (spring's eye view):

chevy -Bob

-BowTie Bob
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
The two knurley knobs are on the shaft as seen in the photo, and the shaft is also between the two knurely knob thingys! DAH!! :eek: :eek:

Thanks Bowtie Bob! Those photos helped a lot, especially when trying to 'splain somethin' to the dude in Texas. Great photos my friend!! Ya! yipp laugh laugh laugh

The Mangy Old Mutt

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.