Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Rons34 Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hi guys. New member as of today. Just got my 1934 chevy 5 window master coupe today. Runs really good!! Just has a few little oil leaks but nothing major. Just started checking things out today. I’m gonna have lots of questions for you guys. I know there is a lot of knowledge here. Jets a few questions so far:
1. Does anyone make a repro floor mat for these? Mine has some carpet that looks kinda sloppy. Rookie attempt a carpet for sure.
2. The threaded cap on the driveshaft at the trans was loose. Should it be a tight fit onto the trans? It turned several turns before it got hand tight.
4. Getting a little clutch chatter in first and reverse. Anything I should look for to solve that?
I’ll have more questions as I go along. These are a good start.
Anyone in San Diego wants to come check it out send me a message!! Love to meet other early chevy guys.
Thanks!!!
Ron

1934 Chevrolet master 5 window coupe
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Welcome to Chatter
Sounds like you had a win with that acquisition. If I was closer than 14,000 miles I would possibley come visit.
The clutch "chatter" could be the engine mounts at the side of the bell housing.
If the threaded cap you refer to is the 1 on the slip joint it should be reasonably tight but should be able to move as the diff moves with load a road actions.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
wel2 parking
Welcome to Chat Ron! I hope you take the next step and join the club. It would be great to see you and your new '34 on some club tours! You came to the right place for answers my man. I'm certainly no expert so I'll move this to a technical forum where your questions will get a wider audience of folks in the know. You might give the folks over at The Filling Station a call about the floor mat. They show the underlayment on their web site. Your first purchase should be a shop manual. Welcome again.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The correct brown floor mat was reproduced years back. I see nothing at the present time. Probably would be too expensive to reproduce today.

To tighten packing nut use on pipe wrench to hold and anoher to turn the packing nut.

Clutch chatter - motor mounts and transmission mount, Use #600 gear oil in the transsmion.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Welcome to VCCA Chat. I second Tiny’s encouragement to become a member of VCCA.

I agree with Gene and Tony that you probably don’t have clutch chatter. Typically the motor and transmission mounts get oil soaked and fall apart over time. That allows the engine and transmission to move around as a torque reaction when the clutch is engaging.

A shop manual is a must. I would also look on eBay for maybe a 1936 or 1937 Master Parts List. In that time period Chevy produced cumulative parts manuals that covered back to 1929.

I use a strap wrench to tighten the collar on the seal for the driveshaft tube. Pipe wrenches and adjustable pliers aka Channelocks will work but not as well. They distort the collar out-of-round where you grab it. So it feels like the collar is tight until you release the pliers.

Can’t help with the floor mat sourcing. Parts like are really getting difficult to find for these older cars. The start-up costs to produce them are pretty high. And there is not a lot of demand.

Rusty

VCCA #44680
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Early Chevrolet Parts, St Louis, Missouri sells an uncut black rubber mat with bowties listed for 27-28. While not original, it had enough excess material along the edges to allow me use it for the front mat in my 34 Master with great results. It did, however, take some time to make the cuts and punch the holes in the correct location.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.