Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Leif Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
A couple of questions: What year did they first come with a valve cover ? Before that was there still the felt pad?
When did the factory finally run an oil line (and return) to the rockers? I care for a '25 truck that belongs to my city's history museum. I can't help but think what a mess it must have been when most roads were dirt.

Leif A Ortegren
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Don't know about the earliest Chevrolets and Littles but the Model H, F, FA, FB and D all had valve covers. The 490s and earlest Superiors did not. The first Superior I can find a valve cover(s) for are the 1925s. I am sure others will correct me if I am not 100% correct.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I believe 1925 Superior K model was the first to cover the rockers with 2 covers , each covering 2 cylinders .

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I agree with all the previous observations, but I might add that I believe some late 1924 models had the twin covers. I don't have a specific engine I can currently verify that with, but I believe I have seen a couple cars that were at least dated 1924 models that had them. I concur early 1924's did not. I have a 24 engine that has had the later single valve cover added. (As per my recent posting on the HAYES valve cover).
Of course GM Canada did things a bit different than their U.S.A. bretheren, and we are all too familiar with manufacturers using up their old stock.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.