Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Bama31 Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
So, I have a '31 Sedan that I inherited from my dad. I am in the midst of a frame off restoration. The engine last ran about 30 years ago, I think. Maybe longer. I have kept the cylinders lubricated with some Marvel Mystery Oil and turned the engine by hand now and again over the years. I guess my question is now what? Should I clean the engine up and get it looking good and hope that it runs, or should I take it to someone to do a rebuild first? I will have to sit it on the chassis anyway to see if it runs, so maybe do that before I do anything else? I haven't checked the compression yet, but that is something i need to do. I could use some suggestions.

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------
Thanks much,
Ralph
"Roll Tide"
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I have test run engines resting on the oil pan supported by wood blocks on the lip of the oil pan. Helps to at least to have an exhaust pipe to control noise and exhaust. Need to be able to hear engine noises to evaluate its condition. Running for a minute or so does not require a radiator but helps to have water in the jacket.

If you search there are several posts on starting an engine after long storage.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.