Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#45014 10/09/03 07:17 PM
bigkid Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I'm having some electrical system problems in the 6 volt '38 Coupe that I bought a couple of weeks ago and the local "experts" can't seem to figure it out.
It was not charging when I bought it so I took the generator and regulator over to the auto electric guy who specializes in old cars and had the armature replaced. It worked fine on the bench with it's own regulator. In the car it pegged out the amp meter for about 5 miles of driving and then stopped working, back on the bench it worked fine, back in the car and it's not. The generator puts out when the field wire is grounded. Ran a ground wire from the generator body to the regulator body and it still didn't work. Installed and new regulator and it didn't work. Put the old regulator back in and it worked. Drove around for about 15 miles and it work as it should, then stopped for few minutes, then pegged the amp meter, even at idle, for awhile then quit working, then started again properly then stopped then pegged and so on.
No other electrical problems other than the headlights stop working last night after having had worked with out the engine running then failing after starting the car.

Kelly

#45015 10/09/03 08:16 PM
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Did you polarize the generator when you reinstalled it on the car?

:confused: :confused:

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
#45016 10/10/03 08:58 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I had a somewhat similar problem with a "dancing" ammeter in my 50. Turned out to be a loose,dirty connection on the back of the ammeter. I took off all connections in the ammeter circuit and cleaned then retightened.Fixed it right up.

#45017 10/10/03 10:00 AM
bigkid Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I've polarized the regulator and had the wires on and off so many times that the connectons are practically polished, so I'm wondering if it could be in the wiring from the battery through the amp meter, ignition and headlight switches? The wiring is all fairly new but there is some extra wiring and I can't quite figure out where all of it starts and where it goes.

It works fine out of the car but not in the car, what about the car besides grounding could effect the function of the regulator?

Kelly

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.