Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Is this the switch at the starter switch on my 47 Aero? It has three connections like in the diagram but nothing connected to them. If that is it, it must not be important because the car would start and run without it connected to the distributor. The wires are frayed and even bare in spots pretty much everywhere and I plan on rewiring with modern wire.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yes, that is the reversing switch. They were very troublesome and often disconnected. Ruuning with out it required grounding the distributor plate with a wire. Leave well eough alonem remove it and toss it.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The reversing switch was an attempt to have the points last longer. In theory reversing the polarity across the points retards the pitting and buildup on the other contact. Was far more trouble that worth so most all were disconnected by the first mechanic that worked on the ignition system.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks that must be what happened here. And something else, it does not have the original ign swt in the car. It has a 3 position with start function that is disabled. In any of the 3 positions I can step on the starter and the motor turns over. They wired the key directly to the batt. instead of going through the amp meter and the wire that is supposed to supply voltage to the meter is also direct to batt.. I am going to try to get it all wired as the diagram shows. I do have what I believe is the original ign. swt. w/ backing brkt.

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
While like the others on Chat, I don't recommend the reverse polarity switch (RVS).

I have one on the Kingston Grey cabriolet only because it came with one originally. Grounding the distributor to the engine is rather tacky looking.

I'll always carry ab extra RV switch and length of wire that I can use to ground the distributer to the pushrod side pan, if the RV devises were to fail, as a backup also.

I don't think the RV switches were quite as bad as the reputation they have attributed to them. But still...

Best,

Charlie computer

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
So due to consensus and it's not hooked up anyway I am going to remove it. Looks like I will have to drill a rivet out to remove the whole thing. There is cracked insulation and bare wires everywhere on this car. I was trying to trace wires and circuits today. I'm not quite sure who posted the link to the wiring diagrams but I want to thank you. I did come across something that didn't seem right in the diagram though, wires off the headlight swt to run the tail lights and the stoplights. It seems they have the tag light on the stop light circuit,? which I think should be on the tail light circuit. I worked at GM as a trim repairman on and off for my last 5 years and had to find wiring problems. I think I've forgot everything I thought I knew. It's only been 14 years ago.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.