Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by Rustoholic
I respectfully disagree that the truck first gear is not usable. It is very usable for going slowly in parades. The truck tranny's second, third, and fourth gears are equivalent to the car's first, second, and third gears.

I recently drove Lurch (see links below) in a parade and in granny first he crawled along at walking speed. It was very pleasant to drive this way in the parade.

Cheers, Dean

I would point out that using a granny gear sounds like a good idea but I wouldn't do it. If you get a hot day out and you're turning higher RPM's the engine will get hotter. I do parades too with my 31 Roadster and use a 4 bladed fan. It isn't as easy to go slow but it does run cooler. My 2 cents worth.

1931 Deluxe Sport Roadster
1931 Sport Coupe
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
I find that keeping the engine speed up to a fast idle in a parade helps keep the engine cool. I just had my '33 and '37 in a parade and I drove the '33 and kept it at fast idle, a friend drove the '37 and did not do that. At the end of the parade the '33 was at about 190 and the '37 was in the red although it did not boil the coolant. I have driven the '37 and kept the engine speed up and never had it get that hot. I think the granny gear should work as I have to slip the clutch a lot to keep idle speed up in a very slow parade you might not have to do that as much with a granny gear, of course parades tend to stop and start a lot so the clutch will still get a work out. .

Ed
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.