Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#425550 05/13/19 06:26 PM
DC871F Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Hello, my name is David, I new to the site.

I'm having a couple issues with the lights on my 1965 C20 pickup.

I have installed a new headlight switch, new dimmer switch which fixed a previous issue with my headlights not working.

I cannot get the running lights working front or back, wiring harness has been ohmed out good, good grounds on the light fixtures.

Along with that is a peculiar problem to where left or right turn signals will turn on both lights in the rear like hazard lights, which my truck doesnt have.

Another problem, brake lights work normal, but when I use turn signal switch, both brake light go out, and nothing works at all, and if I pull the headlight switch out first notch for running lights, it kills brake lights.

Front turn signals will not work no matter what I try. All the mating surfaces for the front turn signal housings are shinny, light sockets are nice and clean and good continuity to the bulkhead connector. What type bulb should I be using? Double filament or single?

I think its kind of pointing to a bad turn signal switch, but I figured I would start here to see if some of you have seen this issue before.

Truck is all original, no hack jobs in the wiring harness.

Thank you.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
It sounds like you have a poor ground in the rear lights, it can ohm ok but it may not carry the amps needed for the lights to be bright. You might try running a temporary ground from the battery to the rear.

Dens Chevys 1927 Speedster 1928 coupe 1941street rod 1947Fleetline 4 door 1949 1/2 ton Pickup (sold) 1954 210 4 door 1972 Monte Carlo 2003 Corvette convt..
DC871F Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by dens41
It sounds like you have a poor ground in the rear lights, it can ohm ok but it may not carry the amps needed for the lights to be bright. You might try running a temporary ground from the battery to the rear.

Good idea, I'll give it a try.

Do you know what bulbs for the front signals/ running lights? For that matter the rears as well? Just trying to make sure I'm not chasing fake issues.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
1157 for front and rear.

DC871F Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Originally Posted by bloo
1157 for front and rear.
Thank you.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.