Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Just to add maybe a little prospective to Andy's thoughts.

Most of us in the old car hobby had at least one (maybe many more for some) memorable event involving and old car. One of mine was friends of my grandfather driving a 1910 Model T Ford from town some 10 miles to his house. I remember the owner telling him it was complete except for missing one valve stem cap. Also remember it didn't run like a modern car and how it shook and vibrated when it ran and I expected it wouldn't make it back to town. It did! And She is 30 years old.

It is those experiences that trigger some of us to want to own and old contraption some day. The more we give younger folks an opportunity for a potentially life changing experience the longer the hobby will be in existence.

There are some 325,560,500+ people in the USA. The VCCA has nearly 8000 members worldwide. The means that only approx. 0.02% of the USA population is a VCCA member. That means that only 1 person attending a high school football game is likely a VCCA member. There are a reported 26,407 public secondary schools and 10,693 private secondary schools across the United States. That means we only have to recruit one student in each 5 high schools to double our membership. Now just think about the percentage of retired folks we need to sign up? Well with approx. 42,378,476 retired folks we only need 2 out of each 10,000 to double our membership. Or each of us need to recruit one new member!!!! Is that too tough a job? I have recruited several this year. One yesterday!

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Join VCCA For Technical Help

VCCA members have access to a list of over 50 Technical Advisors who can help you with your car. It's worth the price of membership! While you can get a lot of information for free in this forum, sometimes the info that you REALLY need is only available from the right person. This is what "The World's Best Chevrolet Club" is all about!

JOIN THE VCCA TODAY!

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
If we want to continue to let these cars on the field and in the G&D we need to change the mission statement might as well change the name of the club to.

I agree and that idea was suggested several times to different board members in the past. To maintain our current status quo, and to acknowledge the new direction in which the VCCA is now heading, the VCCA's name should be changed to the "Chevrolet and GMC Club of America" because the term "Vintage" is now a misnomer.

Also, the current mission statement of "Restoration and Preservation" could be changed to "Restore, Street Rod or Modify" in which case the new mission statement would be more correct in reflecting what our club is now all about.

Again, a moderator needs to move this discussion to the VCCA Members Only area of Chevy Chatter.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
If we want to continue to let these cars on the field and in the G&D we need to change the mission statement might as well change the name of the club to.

I agree and that idea was suggested several times to different board members in the past. To maintain our current status quo, and to acknowledge the new direction in which the VCCA is now heading, the VCCA's name should be changed to the "Chevrolet and GMC Club of America" because the term "Vintage" is now a misnomer.

Also, the current mission statement of "Restoration and Preservation" could be changed to "Restore, Street Rod or Modify" in which case the new mission statement would be more correct in reflecting what our club is now all about.

laugh wink beer2
Well if the mission is changing to modify or street rod then I will be out of this club. If it happens and people want to start a new vintage Chev club to restore and preserve I will join that one.

Last edited by cabboy; 12/22/17 12:16 PM.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
To move the more sensitive part of this discussion into a more private place (Members only), I created the following thread: Soul of the VCCA discussion - past and future

Dean

Dean 'Rustoholic' Meltz
old and ugly is beautiful!

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I disagree discussing this members only. People thinking of joining need to know where the membership stands and maybe chime in. I rejoined after a hiatus thinking this club still had its original core values. Now I want to know what the future status will be so I can decide on future membership.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
Those with a vested interest should be the ones plotting the future direction. Viewing the discussion of club direction by non members is fine with me but if they want to participate in the discussion then they should be paying dues. I think that Jeff (jaw33)has some good ideas regarding inclusion and not division.

Steve D
roara Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
I agree with Cabboy completely to be an open discussion for ALL to view!

I confess I opened this can of worms on this first email thread which is not a bad thing!

For the record as you all know when they built the first car here in the USA in the late 1800’s people found out that if they take all the fenders, body, and metal off and mounted on a wooden seat that it would go even faster! Which truly was the first Hot Rod or back then was called a ”˜Speedster’!

Also for the record and not to throw more fuel on the fire not sure if members had noticed in the G&D monthly magazine there is resto-mods and hot rod parts for sale in the back pages advertising section.

Not a big deal for me and I am ok with that!

So where do you draw the line for stock Chevrolet and Chevrolet Mods, Speedsters and parts?

We have over 8,000 members worldwide! This is the largest wealth of knowledge and information in the World!

So what if we lose 1 member that would be 7,999 members! Not a big deal but on the other hand we will gain more members more knowledge!

I know there will be some people upset but that is fine we live here in this great country of ours of the USA and we are all allowed to voice our opinions!

Also for the record there are many Chevy members of this club that have and own Chevy Hot Rods for a fact there have been several of this car club had interest in trade for my 34 Chevy Roadster!

We are all in this together with the LOVE of CHEVY CARS and at the end we can all help each other at some point in time!

Just my thoughts as a USA citizen and a VCCA Member!

Rory
1934 Chevrolet Standard Roadster
1933 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1934 Ford 4 Door Sedan rolling frame under construction
1933 Ford 4 Door Phaeton

Last edited by roara; 12/22/17 03:37 PM.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
We have over 8,000 members worldwide!

I was told recently that the VCCA membership is now down closer to 7,000 members than 8,000 members.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
That's why I let my membership lapse - too many modified or rodded Chevs being allowed to be in a club whose mission statement was "The Restoration and Preservation of Chevrolets",not modified or hot rodded.
Hot rodders do a great job on their cars/trucks(they even help us by selling original running gear etc to restorers),as do the people who modify their vehicles,but they don't fit in with a club whose mission statement is the opposite.
We also have the same problem here in Australia,albeit somewhat different,as our registration system says that to gain historic(club)registration,the vehicle MUST be as close as possible to original,ie;as it left the factory,with a few minor exceptions,such as turn signals,dual tailights or any modification for safety reasons.

Last edited by CJP'S 29; 12/22/17 05:18 PM.

CJP'S 29
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Horray for australia wave

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
If there was a new policy wherein people had to submit the original equipment engine serial number, a photo of said engine bay and the car. Plus whether or not the sealed beam head lights are the correct original equipment .

That might clean out the **hot rod butchers** from the squeaky clean restorers. Keeping in mind that 55 chevy needs to have the 265 V8 it came with or the six.

The plastic fantastic corvettes are also subject to original engine size and date code for the motor.
No swaps up to 327 or 350 motors is allowed , nor is 427--454 to be substituted for a 396.

You want to " empty out the membership " to only the purest of the pure, go ahead, make my day, said Clint Eastwood.

You have absolutely no idea of how many cars are street rods and owners street rodders. Let me jump out of the garage stall and come out as one, who not only owns one but three of them.
1935 Chevrolet standard 3 window coupe
1935 Chevrolet standard phaeton
1935 Chevrolet standard roadster

mike Lynch Agrin Agrin

ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
I'm not too fond of the fact that NCRS is now judging modified as I'm a purist. however, the modified cars are not causing any negative effects on the judging of"bone stock corvettes" that we've been judging for 44 years. if the judging of modified corvettes increases the membership #'s in NCRS(which have fallen from about 16K to 13.5 K in the last couple years) then I'll be a happy camper. time will tell if modified enhances NCRS membership roles. unfortunately, all the old-time auto hobby clubs are experiencing a decline in membership #'s. mike

roara Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Mike good point on submitting serial # and a photo id but what about members that do not have Chevys or any car at all?

For the record I just got an email from a Hemmings online client that he just got an offer of a 1934 Chevy Roadster for FREE from one of his friends. He is not sure of what condition it is in but was asking me what clubs I could refer him to! Of course I sent him the VCCA link hopefully you will get a new member to replace the one we have just lost!

Merry Christmas to All!!!

Rory
1934 Chevrolet Standard Roadster
1933 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1934 Ford 4 Door Sedan rolling frame under construction
1933 Ford 4 Door Phaeton

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Perhaps we can't see the forest because of the trees !

I went back and reviewed the issue/article and found it is an intresting and informative TECHNICAL article about replacing the wood structure in the older Fisher Bodies. Nothing was or should have been mentioned about modifing a Chevrolet.

The editors job is to put articles, etc. together for the magazine. Any member is MORE THAN WELCOMED to submit material and at this time I undersatand they a looking for a new editior so here is your chance to be the editor and and make the G&D the way YOU think it should be.

The cover picture was perhaps not the best choice but it did wake-up the troops.
carbana

Last edited by Chev Nut; 12/23/17 11:35 AM.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
[quote=roara]Mike good point on submitting serial # and a photo id but what about members that do not have Chevys or any car at all?

For the record I just got an email from a Hemmings online client that he just got an offer of a 1934 Chevy Roadster for FREE from one of his friends. He is not sure of what condition it is in but was asking me what clubs I could refer him to! Of course I sent him the VCCA link hopefully you will get a new member to replace the one we have just lost!
Rory
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

For the hardcore NO STREET RODS allowed in the VCCA CHAT or VCCA club, go ahead create a motion , put it too the board for a vote and throw us out.

But keep in mind that EVERY MEMBER OF VCCA AND VCCA CHAT has to submit the motor serial number, a picture of their fisher body firewall plate , complete pictures of their car showing: engine bay, interior, underneath , real end axle system.

Special attention will be paid to 1955---1957 Chevrolets and also all plastic fantastic corvettes from 1953 and up. Cameros will be researched extensively as to originality. Power glides where power glides are stock no upgrades to 350TH or 700R4 nor upgrades of 4 speed sticks for 5-6 speed tremecs.
No headers and or Flow master mufflers allowed, must be whisper quiet.

How interesting that's 2 roadsters that have been given or offered to people FREE........a 1933 former show car and now a 1934 in unknown condition.

How do I get on that friendship list. ???

mike lynch " the Real & Original madmike3434" Agrin

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The folks who put this club together, back in 1961, were individuals who were interested in the RESTORATION AND PRESERVATION OF CHEVROLETS.

That phrase says it all ...... the RESERVATION AND PRESERVATION OF CHEVROLETS.

The VCCA BOARD bowed down, made a decision to allow a PERSONALIZATION CHAPTER to come into the VCCA.

How has that worked out ? ? ? More cash paying PERSONALIZED MEMBERS ?

Then the VCCA Board bowed down again, this time allowing GMC TRUCKS into the VCCA.

How has that worked out ? ? ? More cash paying GMC Members ?

Has the INCREASE in PERSONALIZED OR GMC MEMBERS "OFFSET" the loss of VCCA Members, who have walked away, after these two moves ?

Is the RESTORATION AND PRESERVATION of a CHEVROLET still the driving force of the VCCA ...... or is the PRIMARY purpose of the VCCA now simply to increase membership numbers and more membership dollars.

VCCA need not be concerned with competing with NSRA OR GOOD GUYS ...... or any other club that chooses to modify the factory built CHEVROLET.

Stick to your guns, VCCA BOARD, let the other clubs exist ...... but because others choose to jump off the bridge and commit suicide does not mean VCCA must / should follow suit.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
While we are discussing the perfect restored Chevrolet RULES lets not forget your car 1914---1955 was painted NITROCELLULOSE LACQUER.. From 1956 up to a point ACRYLIC LACQUER was used.

These paints and thinners and primers are still available at HIBERNIA RESTORATIONS.

If your not using those then your restoration is NOT PURE.

I have seen it discussed on this site about single stage urethane and base clear to replace original type paints. Acrylic enamels , no , not approved.

mike lynch " the real & original madmike3434 " hood

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
I have changed my mind after some of the posts and the direction they have taken and now agree that this thread should be closed and continued in the members area only.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
What this thread is about and ALL it should be about is the fact that some believe the "purist" are having a change of heart regarding the purpose and mission of the VCCA. This belief is in my opinion wishful thinking. It has nothing to do with whether we like personalized-rat rods or any other type of modified CHEVROLET. Because a photo of a non 100% stock car appeared on the cover of the G&D does not indicate that there is any change of Club direction or policy. Anyone who is a MEMBER who wishes to propose a change can do so by following proper procedure . We can discuss all the pros and cons of what we would like to see but unless it goes thru the proper procedures nothing will change. Right now the mission-purpose and reason the VCCA exist is for "Restoration and Preservation of Chevrolets" . Because we believe that is a worthwhile cause it does not mean we do not have an appreciation for other makes-models-or anything else associated with the hobby.

Steve D
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I have changed my mind after some of the posts and the direction they have taken and now agree that this thread should be closed and continued in the members area only.

Absolutely. Anything relating to VCCA business or issues (such as this one) should be discussed by the VCCA members only without outside influence or input from non-club members.

The moderators need to take notice and close the topic and move it to the VCCA members only area.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Maybe I'm missing something, but when I go to the Members Only section I don't see anything that would lead me to a discussion forum where a few people think this thread should be moved.
IF there is one, I'd appreciate it of someone could direct me to it.

Verne

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/400405/Re:_Soul_of_the_VCCA_discussio#Post400405

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

ChatMaster - 1,500
Online Content
ChatMaster - 1,500
Mike, It seems to me there is a lot of difference between different paint formulations and a original 6 cylinder engine and a big V8 engine with modified suspension and drive train.

Ed
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Here we go again and again and again..........shut it down , comes the cry from the rafters. ref ref

There are people on here who disagree with what others are saying, oh my, that's scary. They are poking holes in their arguments and exposing the hypocrisy of the whole PURIST of PURE line of banter. There has been street rodders here for a long long time , they just are afraid to come clean , for fear they will have the finger pointed at them.. My return finger may be a bit more antagonistic.

I was a member of the VCCA in the early 70's until ??? and then dropped and did not re up, why, no idea.

My car has always been a street rod ( 1962-70 other owner ) re-done in the resto rod style by me 1970 until now.
It looks like a stock 35 chevy coupe, black nitro paint, IFS front and IRS REAR. 4 wheel power disc brakes, 350 ZZ4 around 430 hp with 700R4 auto. Wheels are wires, plated not painted. If the hood is not open most people looking at it think its stock. Is loaded with original accessories.

My rare as hell ( one of 217 ) 35 chevy phaeton , bright red acrylic lacquer, full jaguar suspension, 305 chevy TPI and 350 TH trans. Leather interior, rack, guards, right TL, bird, clock mirror. Has jaguar knock off wire wheels. Not one thing on the body has been modified in any way. The prior owner (2015) just offered me the complete original driveline to returned to stock if wanted. Not on my watch.

People discussing that their 51 chev might be better with a 54 chev larger six 235 and better HD trans, guess what you are hot rodding the car. Whats next for that six, more compression, racier camshaft, multiple single barrel carbs and set of hedders. Lordie boy you going to put a floor shift in it.

Forget about closing the thread , let it run until it dies on its own.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike lynch hood

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Uncle Ed
Mike, It seems to me there is a lot of difference between different paint formulations and a original 6 cylinder engine and a big V8 engine with modified suspension and drive train.

iagree dance

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.