Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Don't understand why you are contemplating the removal of the rear end assembly.
Why not take it to your mechanic, complete and in the car ?
IF you had a NEW ring and pinion installed, the back lash is critical to have a quiet rear end.
.005 to .008 is the backlash setting.
IF the ring and pinion back lash has been improperly adjusted, an "incorrect pattern of wear" will be established on the ring and pinion gears.
I have concerns if readjusting the back lash will now remedy the hum.
Look at page 4-11 of your service manual for back lash adjustment procedures.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

dads51 Offline OP
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Yes seems a bit extreme but the first mechanic who rebuilt the trans put in the new ring and pion and replaced the failed Oakie bushing says everything is "patterned" correctly "just drive it and it will wear in"
Not trusting him anymore
My other mechanic thinks the sound is more bushing, bearing, spacer, related and wants to check the whole 3rd member assembly. He doesn't want the job of dropping the rear and my guess tying up a bay for a while.
I trust him a lot so I have to follow his lead at this point.

"Frame Off" restoration, its a journey not a destination
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
If the NEW mechanic readjusts whatever, are you going to be reinstalling the assembly, then removing the assembly again, if the adjustments don't work ?

Look at your manual, some adjustments can be performed with the rear end in the car.

Your mechanic should know this, if he has the experience on your vehicle.

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
dads51 Offline OP
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Oh both of us have beat the manuals apart.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Well, best of luck.

dads51 Offline OP
Oil Can Mechanic
OP Offline
Oil Can Mechanic
Well the humming problem has been found. After the transmission mechanic remove the leaking Oakie bushing with the new one I drove maybe 20 feet and heard a clunk clunk on the de sell. The mechanic knew right away something was missed and he fixed it and said did you always that hum? Then said drive it about 1500 miles or so and everything should seat.
Turns out the pinion bearing retainer ring had come loose because when he tightened the external bolts at the slope of the third member he had threaded them into into the side of that ring instead of directly on top which would have held it in place.
The pinion was sloppy as a result and ring gear are both trashed, bearing is split, and fell apart. Needless to say we need to replace everything one more time! And me and the tranny guy are going to have a talk about my new bill

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
There lies the ongoing quest to locate a trusted technician, who is qualified to work on our antiques.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.