Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
MrMack Offline OP
ChatMaster - 10,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 10,000
What is a good lube for the speedometer cable on my 51 Belair with standard tranny?? I don't have any graphite and vasoline. I was thinking about some Lithium base chassic grease but am afraid it will thicken up when it gets cold. I have cleaned it out good inside the housing and left it with a coat of 3-in-1 oil.
chevy chevy chevy chevy chevy wink

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Now just how cold does it get in Texas?You should hear a dry cable at 25 below.I always use motor oil or chassis grease on mine as recommended by AC,If grease is used they say to only lightly coat the lower 2/3s of the cable so grease dosen't work up into the speedo head.I have seen heads taken out for repair with the speed cup loaded with grease as it will screw its way up the cable because of the way the cable strands are wound.They also state not to use anything with graphite because if it gets to the pot metal speedo frame it will cause wear.

Gene Schneider
MrMack Offline OP
ChatMaster - 10,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 10,000
Thanks Gene, It gets colder than a well diggers A** or a witchs T*t in a brass brazirre! Is that cold enough to not use grease? I will go with the Fina red Lithium grease , just a thin coat 2/3rds of the way up from the bottom, is the bottom the small or the big nut?

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.