Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#310019 06/09/14 01:58 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Where can I find the interior color specs for a '37 1/2 ton.

What was painted?

My truck seems to have a covering of sorts in the top of the interior. Does this sound stock?

~Justin

Grandad's 1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
"Wylburr Clyde"
Pictures of Clyde
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I'm not aware of a reference that shows the paint code for the interior paint. The paint is (or was) sold by the Filling Station, Jim Carter's and maybe others. The covering referred to, is likely "wrinkle paint", which is how these were delivered from the factory. The vendors referenced, sell that too. When I restored my '37, I decided to match the brown color; but without the wrinkle. I took a piece of the garnish moulding to a local auto body paint supplier for a color match. Most of the wrinkle was worn off already and others advised duplicating the finish was a hassle with at best limited acceptable results. I may redo it at some point. The garnish moulding, dash, visor header, door panels, metal behind and above the seat are brown. The interior firewall was apparently not painted, as delivered; at least on this one.

Last edited by 37Blue; 06/09/14 10:35 PM.
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
All 1937 Chevrolet trucks were painted the same color inside - brown wrinkle paint straight from the factory, no matter what the outside color was.

See Facebook Page for Joe Fuchs to see more pictures of my 1937 Chevrolet 1/2 Ton Pickup
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Carter makes or used to make an interior paint for 37-38, but to wrinkle it you have to apply heat afterwards, and it just doesn't want to wrinkle evenly--it's a real pain. Eastwood used to have both black and brown spray can wrinkle, which worked really well, but it has discontinued the brown and only carries black.

In my continuing search (I'm currently restoring a 38 panel) I have found a pretty close match. Rustoleum makes a texture/wrinkle paint which is not exactly like the original wrinkle, but VERY close. The closest color is called AUTUMN BROWN, and it dries very close to the original--I would say it's a bit brighter, but pretty close. Give it a try--I don't think you will find a better combination of color match and wrinkle and ease of application.

Good luck!

Jim

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you all for the information.

As I am a newbie, can you help me understand what the garnish molding is?

At this point in time, I think I will avoid the wrinkle as I am nowhere near a concourse restoration.

The interior appears to have been painted at least two different times. One is a black which appears to be peeling EVERYWHERE (under dash, visor mount, etc) The second paint is on the dash and door interiors and it is similar to a royal blue.

The covering I was talking about appears to be an attempt to put in a headliner? I will get some pictures posted.

I am looking to paint the interior as a one of many steps toward making it driveable, so the color isn't the first priority at this time. But I figured if I was going to go through the effort of cleaning it up and painting it, original would be the best bet. I am having troubles finding the paint on either the Carter or Filling Station websites, anyone have part numbers?

I have ordered my catalogs.

Thanks again.

~Justin

"Wylburr Clyde"
Pictures of Clyde
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
A "garnish moulding" is the frame that goes around each window.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks JYD!

~Justin

"Wylburr Clyde"
Pictures of Clyde
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I 'll check to see if I've got paint code info for the stuff the auto body paint supplier mixed to match the brown on my '37. It should be close to the original allowing for the years the original was exposed to the sun and other factors.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The paint that Carter and Filling Station carry will be the correct shade of brown, and if you don't want to wrinkle it, you can simply use the paint and skip the application of heat. But since you said you wanted to stick close to original (even though not concourse), I would still recommend the Rustoleum Autumn Brown. The paint is certainly high enough quality, it's easy to apply (rattle can), and you have the added bonus of being VERY close to the original color and texture.

Your truck, your choice, but this is a pretty simple and accurate solution.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Justin
I found the paint they mixed for me. Unfortunately, when the P&B guys poured it to use paint dripped and covered about 1/3 of the code label. If, it will help I can take it into the paint supplier in the coming days and have him re-figure the code he used.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
37Blue,

Thank you for the offer. I am a few months off from actually painting. If you have the opportunity to get the paint code, I am certain I wouldn't be the only one to use find the information helpful.

Thanks again,

~Justin

"Wylburr Clyde"
Pictures of Clyde
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The headliner is a very stiff cardboard. They are sold by Jim Carter. Not easy to install but with patience can be done.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Justin
Yes. I'll try to get over to the paint supplier in the coming days. I'll post the info. Please, be mindful though that the code will be based on the brown paint (wrinkle) that was some 70 years old, thus subjected to wear, no doubt a variety of cleaning agents and other environmental factors.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by chevy1937
The headliner is a very stiff cardboard. They are sold by Jim Carter. Not easy to install but with patience can be done.

What is the original color of the headliner and the piece around the rear window? Mine has been painted black...

~Justin

"Wylburr Clyde"
Pictures of Clyde
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Jmmmmn37,

I really appreciate the suggestion. I will look into this options as well.

Thanks!

~Justin

"Wylburr Clyde"
Pictures of Clyde
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The card board is brown, same as the other interior parts. Including the cardboard kick panels.

Some, me included, have had horrible results with the cardboard headliner installation. The sharp curves in the rear corners and sides, despite moistening with alcohol, as was suggested tended to wrinkle and crease. I understand some have tried moistening the piece and draping it over the exterior of the cab to dry and more closely conform to the curves needed. That method may be worth a try? After two failed attempts the other way, and ruined liners, I punted and went with the ABS version. It still needed some trimming, but the finished result was more than acceptable. It did need painted, as it came in black.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by 37Blue
The card board is brown, same as the other interior parts. Including the cardboard kick panels.

[truncated]

Was the cardboard just untreated brown cardboard?

~Justin

"Wylburr Clyde"
Pictures of Clyde
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
No, it was more like a super thick laminated paper about 1/8 inch or so thick. The vendors that sell the headliners also sell these.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Jim Carter is now offering exact match powder for the interior of the '36 (low roof), '37 and '38 trucks. The powder was matched to an interior moldings back side.
I provided the sample. It came from Sam Russell's '38 series HE 1 ton truck (see his avatar). It was pristine on the back side and it appears they did an excellent job matching it.
I will be using this powder on a project soon and will report the results here. It has been used on a truck in Minnesota and the owner was very pleased.
Glove box door, instrument panel and bolts, windshield wiper panel, door panels, door upper front and rear moldings and trim clips, ribbed strip moldings above and behind door, rear inner cab panel (surrounds back glass), inner cab corner panels, and panels above and beside windshield should all have this color.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Mike
Do I understand correctly that the new product would be used as a powder coating? If, so that would be a labor saving advancement, IMHO! dance

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Yes,
Powder coating powder is now available from Jim Carter, and possibly other vendors, for '36 (low roof), '37 and '38 Chevy trucks. I do not know if GMC used the same interior finish.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
What color was the original headliners?

~Justin

"Wylburr Clyde"
Pictures of Clyde
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Brown.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.