Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#290607 10/01/13 10:37 PM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I am having wiring issues with my 38 I had a guy (neighbor) come out and work on it last night some and couldn't figure my blinker issues out. I had another guy that was highly reccomended by another car builder come out and have a look today. Long story short he said the wiring was a mess and needed to be replaced. It is a mess and sloppy done job. My question is does $850.00 sound like a fair price for a total rewire of the car with him providing everything?

Last edited by Stumpman; 10/01/13 10:37 PM.
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
A complete wiring harness for your car is available from the Filling Station for about $500. If he is going to supply everything, including the labor to install the harness and the correct wiring harness, I would say that $850 for all would be a realistic figure.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
iagree IF he's planning on using the original style of cloth covered harness. If his intentions are to use a modern plastic insulated harness the price quoted is more than a little high.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I agree with both posts above . frank

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
It will be a modern wiring harness. I was told the kit is around 300.00. He said 3 days labor to pull the old wiring out and rewire the car. What should be a fair price? I wouldnt work 3 days for 500.00 is why i thought it wasnt a bad deal. I wanted more opinions what sounds fair to yall?

Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
Hall Monitor
ChatMaster - 7,000
If you rewire a car with a harness made specifically for that car it shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours to totally rewire a '38 Chevy. One full day would be max if they had difficulties. People must get paid a lot more where you live. Folks around here would work hard for a full week for $500 and consider it good money.

VCCA Member 43216
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
1938 HB Business Coupe
1953 210 Sedan
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
If your 38 is original, I'd (gently) urge you to replace the harness with an original style one from Rhode Island or Narragansett or another provider. The main one for your car is $399 plus additional costs for other accessory harnesses, etc.

http://www.narragansettreproductions.com/partspdfs/parts-gm.pdf

http://www.riwire.com/Catalogs/40/CAT2.HTM

Modern wiring in an otherwise original '38 would look 'questionable' if you're going for the original look / judging. You would also likely have to step up to 12 volts, which may also be an issue if you want to keep your 6 volt accessories. To each is own, and its your car. I just wanted to share the info and show that original style harnesses are available for your car. Hope this helps and best of luck with the project. Good thing you're doing this and making the car reliable and safe.

-Daryl Scott #45848
1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan
1976 Chevrolet C20 Fleetside

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by Daryl Scott
If your 38 is original, I'd (gently) urge you to replace the harness with an original style one from Rhode Island or Narragansett or another provider. The main one for your car is $399 plus additional costs for other accessory harnesses, etc.

http://www.narragansettreproductions.com/partspdfs/parts-gm.pdf

http://www.riwire.com/Catalogs/40/CAT2.HTM

Modern wiring in an otherwise original '38 would look 'questionable' if you're going for the original look / judging. You would also likely have to step up to 12 volts, which may also be an issue if you want to keep your 6 volt accessories. To each is own, and its your car. I just wanted to share the info and show that original style harnesses are available for your car. Hope this helps and best of luck with the project. Good thing you're doing this and making the car reliable and safe.
the car is 12v it has a v8 in it. Its not an original car anymore. It was like this when i bought it. I wasn't looking for an original type car when i bought this one but didn't realize the wiring was such a mess at the time. It has power windows tilt wheel power steering and so on added to it. Thanks for all yalls comments on this.

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
the car is 12v it has a v8 in it. Its not an original car anymore. It was like this when i bought it. I wasn't looking for an original type car when i bought this one but didn't realize the wiring was such a mess at the time. It has power windows tilt wheel power steering and so on added to it.

You should have given us the above information about your car being a street rod first because that changes the answer to your question. When asking questions, please supply all specific and important information so that you will get the correct answer. In this case, everyone assumed that you had an original car so the above answers were based accordingly.

Good luck with your re-wiring job. Sounds like it might be a major project since you have electric windows and etc.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
You're getting a lot of info on this subject..grin

If you're going to make your car a show car that's 100% correct you need a factory duplicate wiring harness. That's not to say that is a safe idea. One fuse for the entire car is anything but safe.But if it's a show car you won't be driving it much anyway. I doubt it catches on fire while on a trailer. If the focus is on judging and points you need to make it like it was in 1938.

No alternator
No radial tires
No updated modern bearings
No shiney paint
No accessories(that's just something else to be included in the judging)
No updated waterpump change
No DOT glass
Nothing chromed that didn't come that way
No gelcell battery

If you are planning on actually driving the car..I strongly suggest more fuses.

But..I'm in the minority on this subject, I sold my 38,what do I know..smiles

Last edited by wawuzit; 10/02/13 01:38 PM.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by wawuzit
You're getting a lot of info on this subject..grin

If you're going to make your car a show car that's 100% correct you need a factory duplicate wiring harness. That's not to say that is a safe idea. One fuse for the entire car is anything but safe.But if it's a show car you won't be driving it much anyway. I doubt it catches on fire while on a trailer. If the focus is on judging and points you need to make it like it was in 1938.

No alternator
No radial tires
No updated modern bearings
No shiney paint
No accessories(that's just something else to be included in the judging)
No updated waterpump change
No DOT glass
Nothing chromed that didn't come that way
No gelcell battery

If you are planning on actually driving the car..I strongly suggest more fuses.

But..I'm in the minority on this subject, I sold my 38,what do I know..smiles
wow sorry guys didn't mean to ruffle feathers. This is my first old coupe so i know little about them thats why all the questions. It is no show car and never will be it is a driver for me and the wife to enjoy and me and a son to spend time working on. It has power seats and windows and many more then one fuse now. Like i said thanks for the replies. I will limit the questions from now on sos not to get anyone bent out of shape over asking the wrong questions.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
No wrong questions here. I've asked hundreds of dumb questions. These guys know almost anything you'll need to know about old chevys.

It's a age old question about how and what you want to do with your old chevy.Many choices, and some prefer a certain kind of restoration. The main thing is..have fun and remember it's your car. good luck.I personally like show car antiques,streetrods and drivers but some guys just like one of the three. Again, I haven't seen to many questions that stump these ole boys.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Originally Posted by Stumpman
I will limit the questions from now on sos not to get anyone bent out of shape over asking the wrong questions.

No need for that, we're here to help...so pull up a chair and enjoy the site. We're mostly restorers / original folks here but don't let that deter you. A lot of folks are experts on these cars and can help you out of a jam if you need expertise, parts or just conversation. We just didn't know what you were dealing with in terms of your particular car. Stick around, the VCCA is a great bunch of people.

If you're interested in older hot rods, I would recommend the HAMB forums. They're another good bunch that's more focused on hot rods & traditional customs.

Take care, and sorry for any misunderstanding.

Last edited by Daryl Scott; 10/02/13 07:43 PM.

-Daryl Scott #45848
1947 Chevrolet Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan
1976 Chevrolet C20 Fleetside

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by Daryl Scott
Originally Posted by Stumpman
I will limit the questions from now on sos not to get anyone bent out of shape over asking the wrong questions.

No need for that, we're here to help...so pull up a chair and enjoy the site. We're mostly restorers / original folks here but don't let that deter you. A lot of folks are experts on these cars and can help you out of a jam if you need expertise, parts or just conversation. We just didn't know what you were dealing with in terms of your particular car. Stick around, the VCCA is a great bunch of people.

If you're interested in older hot rods, I would recommend the HAMB forums. They're another good bunch that's more focused on hot rods & traditional customs.

Take care, and sorry for any misunderstanding.
Thanks for the info and link to the other site.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Having spent hours under instrument panels in the assembly plant and wiring Street Rods after retirement the $850.00 price for wiring your vehicle and furnishing the supplies is a good price. There are several after market companys who make kits for Street Rods. With the accessories you mention you will need the larger kit. It will definitely take more than one day to complete your vehicle.
My favorite manfacturers for Street Rod harnesses are American Auto Wire and Painless Auto Wire.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Here's a interesting fact. The gas gauge and dome light wires are under the headliner. Also I'm sure you know this,but the 6 Volt wires are a larger size. The twin trumpet horn has the relay mounted on the horn cross bracket under the hood,where the horn mounts.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
A complete wiring harness for your car is available from the Filling Station for about $500. If he is going to supply everything, including the labor to install the harness and the correct wiring harness, I would say that $850 for all would be a realistic figure.

laugh wink beer2
I think so, too. Man, it's quite a bit of work...Even for a professional...Hey, he's got boat payments to make...!

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.