Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#284434 07/22/13 06:10 PM
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Got a chance to work on the project some today. Got the rear end in place and the springs in. Made some progress.

Only thing is I can't get the passenger side to seat in the spring. You know where the spring has the little centering pin that fits into the hanger on the axle housing. Got the left side in but the right is giving me a fit. Got frustrated. Tired. No help. No good friends to help. Heck fire no friends at all come to think of it. Sad. Quit for the day. Try again tomorrow. Or next year. (I hope this last part satisfies the technical aspect satisfactorily.)

Is there any helpful hints about doing this? I think I'll try jacking up on the spring. Don't know if that'll help or not. If I can't get in soon, I'm going on to something else. You may see the 41 coming down the road "dog=walking." Agrin

Charlie computer

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Had that problem, put a board against the outside of the spring and the inside of the frame and pulled the spring in.

Ya got to drive'em
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Ya got friends, Charlie; maybe just not near enough to drop by and help out. Guess we oughta get a commune going for old Chevy lovers so we can help each other out when needed. Got all the technical know how you could ever need here, but it doesn't supply any man power... ;-)

Jacking up the rear end and shifting what needs to move with a nice pry bar should take care of the problem. Your wife should be able to lend a hand; if'n she loves ya!!! Mine helped move the '40 outa the garage tother day; complained about it but got it done! ;-)

Richard
Waverly, IA
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Make sure you leave the left side loose so you can move it around. And you might try to put the right side in first,maybe the left will go in easier.

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Are you going to make me drive all the way over the big hill to show you how to do this? That's what they make 2x4s for. Put some muscle in it.

http://www.jonbarron.org/sites/default/files/lever-fc3.jpg

It's not a matter of ,will it fit,it's a matter of how long are we going to have to beat on it. winner

Last edited by wawuzit; 07/23/13 03:48 PM.
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
I think y-all are missing the point. It's getting hole in the housing seat onto the spring dowel. I got the springs in okay but only one side seated flush in the saddle.

I see to it tomorrow. It's like feeling around in the dark because you can't see the dowell and the hole in the saddle whilst they are down and almost in. Know what I mean? Mercy! Agrin

Charlie computer

BTW: You 'bout over those modern-day, high-dollar trinkets? We need you back here (with a 41). I can hear little Joey a-calling "Shane" (substitute Steve) "Come back" "We like you" "Mama likes you too. She told me so." We all do. (Well, some of us do) "Come back." "Steve, Steve" Agrin Agrin dance bowdown

ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Is it possible that the hole isnt deep enough for the centre bolt head to fit in, those holes are prone to collect road grime and rust which wont allow the bolt head in. Dont ask how many times I have been caught especially with new centre bolts from a different manufacturer.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Tony,

I don't think so. Both springs are NOS (7 leaves) and the left one went in. I think it is just a matter of me holding my mouth just right and a lack of help. It's tougher when you have to do everything by yourself. flush

Today, I'll get out my long pry bar, some heavy duty jacks and a come-along and see what I can do. May bend the axle housing but that'll be OK. It then will feel a better relationship with the rest of the project. Mercy!

I'll let you all know how it works out. Agrin

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
OK everyone, this may be a lesson learned. (Note: I didn't check the manual)

I have installed a 51 3:55 power glide gears and torque tube into the 41 differential housing. The 51 (and up) torque tube is larger in diameter than the 50 and earlier ones. (Gene pointed this out some time ago and I had that in mind but the hole it slide through looked big enough.) This swap poses no problem for anything but a 50 and below convertible.

Such is the 41 project car. The problem comes in form of the X-box frame to support the body without a rigid top.

Owing to the opening in the X-box, it is rather small and/or the 51 tube is tight fit. Whichever way you want to look at it. Especially when the tube is resting in the bottom of the X-box. It won't wiggle none in this position.

Solution: You have to jack up the torque tube so you get enough room to pivot the carrier around (very little actually) for the pins on top of the springs to go into the saddle recesses. That's what I did and it dropped right in.

I can only hope that the tube have enough side play to not cause a problem. I may change the tube out for a 41-50. But not yet. In the mean time note that the torque tube is a fairly tight fit for the convertible. And if you're changing on out on a convertible I suggest you use the 50 and prior torque tube at the outset.

Question: Has anyone ever had any problems with the 51 and up torque tube in a 50 and earlier convertible (cabriolet) frame? if you have done this swap and had no problems, I'd like to hear about that too.

Thanks,

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
This problem has been brought up before. Is it possible to grind a little out of the X openng?

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Well, that's possible but I don't want to do it unless it's absolutely necessory. I'd just rather change the torque tube. I have a 50 3:55 torque tube and gears standing by but I wanted to keep that one for the 50 conv. Next project.

I have some other torque tubes that I can use if it comes to it. I don't think the rear end will move far enough latterly that it will cause the tube to hit the sides of the X-box. Its OK up and down I think.

Charlie computer

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Charlie, I'm running a 54 PG in my 41 cabriolet and have had no clearance problems.
Jay

ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Jay,

Thanks, that good to hear. I'll rest a little easier now.

Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 6,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 6,000
Discovered today that I forgot to put the cork seals in the ends of the pins in the shackles. Dag-nabbit! Now I've got to ease the shackles back apart and install the things.

The ones I have are NOS but old having come with the shackle sets and are right brittle. Seems that someone suggested they may be made a little tougher and pliable by soaking them in water. Is this correct or what is a good way to treat them so's they don't crumble.

Also, Is it okay to use O-rings instead of the cork? Any points off for that (not that it will ever a serious competitor).

Thanks,
Charlie computer

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
I actually think the orings would be better. Someone once told me to soak gaskets in whatever fluid they will be sealing.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
You must have some real old stuff. The GM shackle kits I installed in my '34 over 40 years ago came with neoprene rubber seals.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Soaking cork in water does make it more pliable, as a result the size will increase slightly which will most likely bring it back to original size.
Using orings would last longer than cork in most cases.
Tony

1938 1/2 ton Hope to drive it before I retire

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.