Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Flaring the end of the low speed jet has been suggested in the past. I typically don't have problems with the jet seating when flared with a blunt ice pick. Have even used a think coat of solder on the tip and only occasionally found any benefit for a sure air tight fit.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thank you for steering me in the right direction.

I was reading the Shop Manual and it sounds like if the Low speed jet was installed new, they had you remove it to make sure it had a "bearing" taper on the end of it. If it did, sounds like it was good to reinstall.

On another note, I just found the metering rod adjustment gauge on ebay and got it for $24, looking forward to using this to make sure the metering rod is sync'd up properly after my rebuild.

Hopefully I purchased the right one, its the T109-25

Attached Images
metering rod gauge.png low speed idle jet.png
Last edited by Ptechniker48; 02/18/21 05:03 PM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

48' Fleetline Aero Sedan

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
T109-25 is the correct gauge for the Chevrolet W-1 metering rod adjustment.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
carbana Great news!

Thank you so much guys!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

48' Fleetline Aero Sedan

Backyard Mechanic
Online Content
Backyard Mechanic
Both slightly flaring the end of a used low speed jet to make it seal, and using blue loctite instead of the copper washers were taught to me by the Headmaster of the Carter Carburetor School. Have used both for decades with no problems. Carter Sales Division suggested not reusing the low speed jet because they put new low speed jets in their carburetor kits, and of course, wanted to sell the kits.

For those that want to use the copper washers, I have no problem with that, and include them in our rebuilding kits; but I don't use them.

Jon.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air

Owner, The Carburetor Shop (in Missouri)
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I greatly appreciate your input. I will keep everyone informed with pictures and hopefully a nice video of the rebuild. Now I just need to find the time to get this done.

Thank you Jon!

48' Fleetline Aero Sedan

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I finally found the elusive Carter T109-25 Metering rod gauge! bana2

Attached Images
METERING ROD GAUGE T109-25.png T109-25.png

48' Fleetline Aero Sedan

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.