Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#253614 09/01/12 04:05 PM
Porsche Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I have a 1946 Chevy Pickup with a 1952 six cylinder engine and 3 spd transmission. The rest of the truck is stock 1946.
The truck just quit while I was driving today and I had to have it towed home. CAA is pretty handy when you have an old vehicle.
There does not appear to be any gas coming through the fuel filter yet when I pump the acelerator a drip of gas sprays out the back of the linkage on the carb. I tried priming the carb with some gas but it would not fire.
Does anyone have any ideas what I should do?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Check to see if you have spark.

Gene Schneider
Porsche Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Thanks for the tip.
I pulled the plugs - they were covered in black soot.
Clean them up and the truck started.
I am thinking the soot is caused but a poor gas to air mixture??
Can't see where you can adjust the carb.
Any ideas?
I appreciate your help.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The idle-screw adjustment is all you've got, without taking the carb apart. It's near the distributor vacuum line...I'd leave it alone...Sounds like perhaps your engine flooded, some dirt, etc. kept your float needle open 'till it died...Maybe the ride home on the tow-truck "jiggled" it loose...Often times a few "raps" to the side of the carburetor is all it takes to knock the debris free...It's happened to all of us...At least once lol

Gene ( Chevnut ) also has a method that is often used to clear float needle valves, scare young children and feral animals...
Just don't forget where the wires went...

Last edited by kevin47; 09/03/12 05:55 PM.

1947 Fleetmaster Sport Coupe VCCA # 47475

If it's not wearing a Bowtie...It's not properly dressed...!
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by Porsche
Thanks for the tip.
I pulled the plugs - they were covered in black soot.
Clean them up and the truck started.
I am thinking the soot is caused but a poor gas to air mixture??
Can't see where you can adjust the carb.
Any ideas?
I appreciate your help.

Porsche

Its the other way round rich mixture is one of the posible reason for black plugs.
idea Check if your aircleaner is not blocked with dirt
driving
Jianis

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
My gut feeling tells me he may be running with an "Oil Bath" filter...

Porsche Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
The air filter is cleaned by washing in oil. Seems ok
Started up after cleaning plugs then checked plugs, they were covered in black soot again.
Exhaust puffs a little black smoke at start up then is clear.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I wouldn't be concerned with the filter...You could leave it off temporarily 'till we have this figured out...I wouldn't be to worked-up about the soot just yet, either, it'll burn it's self off when the correction is made...

Now, you don't happen to be running with an automatic-choke for some reason, are you...? I'll take that as a no...grin

Making an adjustment to your idle-circuit screw is simple enough...You may be able to do it with your finger...Or with a screw-driver lightly seat the screw/needle...And I mean lightly...Then back it off about a turn and a half...done. For now...

I still suspect you may have a bit of debris sticking on your float needle seat, though. And unless your successful with a "search"`for Gene's "Switch-a-Wire/Get a Hang-Fire" method, He'll probably be along shortly...I can't recall which wires you "switch"...Or you might PM him...

Anyone else recall the wire switch-a-rue number sequence...?

Porsche Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
The truck will not idle with the air cleaner off??
And yes I do have and automatic choke.
Don't think the tow truck jarred anything lose because I tried to start the truck when I got it home and it still would not start. Soon as I cleaned the plugs away it went.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
The truck's idle shouldn't be effected with the air filter removed...

So, the truck does run as we speak..? Your just getting "some" black smoke ( too rich ) at idle...? While "cold"...

When was the last time you did any type of tune up..?

Does it start as easily as it did before...?

Last edited by kevin47; 09/04/12 10:02 PM.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Is the carburetor a Rochester or Carter or something else? If a Rochester not only can the needle/seat be part of the problem but also the power valve. If the power valve leaks it will put extra gasoline into the intake.

Black soot on the plugs indicates incomplete combustion. It can be because of an incorrect mixture (14:1 air:gasoline is ideal) or too cold spark plugs or tight gap on plugs or weak ignition system.

In many cases it is the ignition system particularly when the vehicle just stops running when driving. That does not mean that it could be the carburetor. If it stops like someone just turned off the ignition switch (without popping, running rough just before stopping or other stumble) then it most likely was due to the ignition system including everything back to the battery.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I assumed he's running with a Rochester when he said he's got an automatic choke...My inquiry as to his tune-up history is because it would appear to be the other suspect cause would be weak spark ...

Thanks for posting Chipper. I was beginning to feel a little lonely here...smiles

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
I am also suspecting a Rochester B but a later model Carter can also have an automatic choke. Six cylinder engines later than '49 had a Rochester factory installed which would strongly suggest it is installed on his engine. They are a different beast with the power valve. That being said I still highly suspect ignition problems are the major cause.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Porsche Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
It is a Rochester Carb.
The engine had a complete rebuild 1500 miles ago.
I get just a puff of black smoke when truck starts up then exhaust is clear. No black smoke when I rev engine.
Points and condensor look good.
I am beginning to think that the float is stuck open.
Still can not explain why it stalled the way it did.
Just ran a container of carb cleaner thru the carb.
Will check to see if the plugs are still fouling.
Right now it is running fine.
Appreciate all the comments.

Porsche Offline OP
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Well I ran some carb cleaner thru cleaned the plugs and the truck is running fine.
Still get a puff of black smoke when I start up but no other visible emissions after it is running.
Drove the truck for 10 miles, pulled the plugs again there was some black soot but the end of the plug was clear.
Now I am wondering if the plug I am running Champian RJ18YC6 is correct and hot enough.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
[quote=Porsche]Well I ran some carb cleaner thru cleaned the plugs and the truck is running fine.
Still get a puff of black smoke when I start up but no other visible emissions after it is running.
Drove the truck for 10 miles, pulled the plugs again there was some black soot but the end of the plug was clear.
Now I am wondering if the plug I am running Champion RJ18YC6 is correct and hot enough.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. [/quote

Porsche...Sounds like you are doing good..Puff of smoke when yous start is good. put some "Marvel Mystery Oil" in your gas tank and it will help your car run better (UPPER LUBE)..Smoke is good...shows you are cleaning out the bad stuff...GOOD LUCK...ED

BTW ...About your Spark plugs....You might try Champion #J11C stay away from any plug that's starts with a "R" that is a Resistor plug ...you do not need that unless you have a radio in your car ...Resistor is to keep the static out of your radio...Good Luck ...ED

I was only wrong one time in my life so far. But that time I was right, and only thought I was wrong....ED

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.