Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Chevcop Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I have a 33 Master. I mounted a 33 Chevrolet heater in it many years ago. I did not hook up the hoses at that time. I am looking for advice on the installation of the hoses.

There are three locations where the hoses can be connected. One is the lower radiator hose. One is just below the thermostat in the water jacket. One is in the left rear of the head where the Temperature gauge connects. I have the fittings to connect at any of the three locations.

My question is, which two connections are correct?

I believe that the one on the lower radiator hose is the correct connection for the return line from the heater.

I have seen them with the supply hose connected at both other places.

Which is the proper way and if either works then which way is the most efficient?

Does anybody make a valve to shut off the water when the heater is not in use? It could be a valve that is operated manually. I would rather not go with a modern water valve purchased from a plumbing supply house.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rich James
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I have done some research for installing the heater in my '35 Standard. This is what I remember.
The hot water supply to the heater is from the plug below your thermostat. The stat creates some resistance to force the water toward the heater. A shut-off valve is located at this spot.
I see the correct (I think) shut-off valve on ebay, for $29.99, photographed on the cover of a 1960 or so Master Parts Catalog. It is Y shaped with the valve handle in one arm and threaded at the bottom to screw into the head.
The return hose goes to the thermostat location, using a rather unique fitting which I have only seen once on ebay.
This may not be the same for your '33, but I hope it is helpful.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Chevcop Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I really appreciate your information. I believe the 33 is different but I would like to hear from others also.

Rich James
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I also have 33 Masters. The original factory connectors i have are as follows:

1- adapter section about 1 inch thick that mounts under upper hose gooseneck and raises the gooseneck. This creates the need to simply shorten the upper hose. The sextion has a hose nib extending from it which the feed hose to the heatercore attaches

2- steel elbow with another heater hoe nib that goes between to lower radiiator hose sections. This stell elbow forms a 90 degree bend with the nib in the middle where the return hkse from the heatercore attaches.

No supply valve though that ive seen

SEARCHING FOR GOOD QUALITY 1933 CHEVROLET MASTER ORIGINAL TRICO MIRRORS FOR SIDEMOUNTS. ALL LEADS APPRECIATED.
ChatMaster - 2,000
ChatMaster - 2,000
Hi Chevcop,

I can't help with the hose routing, but I found a shutoff valve that you might be able to use. It's for 1935 and up, and I don't know if your water pump can accept it, but with a fitting or two you might be able to use it inline somewhere.

Click below to see it...........

http://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/5943/Chevrolet_Heater_Shutoff_Screws_Into_Water_Pump.html

Hope that helps.

ken48
VCCA 42589

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
For 1931-1934 one connection is the left rear of head. The other is a "T" at the upper end of the lower hose.
The spacer under the thermostat housing is an after market item.
No shut-off valve was offered by Chevrolet at that time.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 08/19/12 09:01 PM.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Thats good to know!!! Ive owned this car since 1978 and always thought it was set up originally. I guess original aftermarket is more accurate

Jeff

SEARCHING FOR GOOD QUALITY 1933 CHEVROLET MASTER ORIGINAL TRICO MIRRORS FOR SIDEMOUNTS. ALL LEADS APPRECIATED.
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
If anyone has the fitting to return water at the temperature gauge location, I would like to have 1 or 2 of them.
I can make something from the hardware store but it would be UUUUGLY.

Mike

ml.russell1936@gmail.com

Many miles of happy motoring
Chevcop Offline OP
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I really appreciate all of the input. I am leaning towards connecting to the left rear of the head and the lower radiator hose.

I want to put a shut off valve into a tee at the head. It would work very nicely.

The valve that Ken mentioned would work but I hate to spend $41.00 with shipping for it. Does anybody know of a supplier that would have one for less money?

Any comments on which connection would be the most efficient would be appreciated.

35 Mike, please call me at 412 241 4263. I may be able to help you.

Rich James
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Look at the 31 service news....it tells you how to do it there....I can send pictures of my 34.

32 Confederate
Bruce S. DeFord
VCCA Judging Committee Chair

The Great American Value for 1932
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.