Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
Let me get this straight.

The CCA relates to the time you can grind on a battery before it's voltage is depleted. That about right?

The voltage of a 6-volt battery is 6-volts. That about right, too?

If your car's engine is in good shape why do you have to grind on and on to get it started?

I haven't bought another Optima for a long, long time. The first one I bought was a 12 volt and it was a piece of junk. Maybe they have improved.

I like my Interstate but if those Optima's will last three to four times longer - as the testimonials indicate, then maybe I should reconsider my stand.

Chipper, what say ye?

Charlie computer

BTW: Will the Optima keep the electric clock running longer.

I don't use no stinkin trickle charger, either.

ChatMaster - 7,000
ChatMaster - 7,000
CCA is the number of amps that can be drawn for thirty seconds @ 0 degrees F and still maintain a minimum of 1.20 volts per cell. Even if in good shape some places have "cold" weather and cranking an engine takes more effort. If you go to visit Brewster in January you will learn first hand and no further explanation will be necessary.

Steve D
ChatMaster - 6,000
ChatMaster - 6,000
I had a 41 Chevrolet SD coupe while with the army in Alaska back in 55-56. I don't need no stinkin 0 degrees to convince me that cold has an effect on batteries. Nor do I need to visit Brewster to be convinced. I think I could pick a more pleasant time of year. Say July.

Here's my point. If I grind on the engine trying to start it for 30 seconds then it is not rocket science that something is wrong and it ain't going to start no matter what kind of battery is in it.

I am not sure that all the bragging about the Optima's is not buyers who feel stuck with a bad decision and are hyping the experience to make themselves better.

Thanks for the response as to the definition of what CCA means. I had forgotten.

Charlie computer

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
Likewise, I just bought a 6V Optima from Amazon for that price and free shipping. It arrived in 3 days, well packaged, and works well.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.