Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#19501 03/15/02 11:16 AM
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I thought the other posting was starting to get too long to scroll down the page. cool
Anyway, the caustic soda is doing the work. As most will know from my previous posting, I've flushed the water system out pretty well every day for the last week, with last weekend over and over, using market brand radiator flushes, with limited success.

On the Sunday, afternoon I put caustic soda in the water and over a few days, heated the motor up until it looked like overflowing and turned off.
On Wednesday I flushed the system...go check..

http://www.angelfire.com/ab7/nashwilliams/index.html

As you can see, from the picture on the link, there is still a fair bit of gunk still in the water system. On Thursday I done the same with the same result.

Will let you all know how the weekend went.

Steve

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
The weekend went okay to a degree. On Saturday, back flushing continued, but the water was just as dirty as it has been over the last week, come Saturday afternoon. I also used the vinegar trick, but wasnt as successful as the caustic soda. Still, it worked, so thats the main thing.

On Sunday, I drilled a hole in the middle of the back freeze plug. Using a long screw driver I leavered the old out....look at the gunk..
http://www.angelfire.com/ab7/nashwilliams/index.html

The car still overheats!
Question: I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take out the new freeze plug and check to see if more gunk has travelled to this area?
Steve

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Having the system cleaned out with the aid of a compressor, has fixed the problem. This is done by a water hose and the air hose connected before the end of the water hose. There is a 3 way tap at the end of the hose - 1 water, 2 air & 3 none-off.

Unfortunatley, I wasn't told that I'd come out of the excercise ringing wet! :)

The hose was connected to the bottom radiator hose, (the top radiator hose disconnected also)and putting my hand over the top radiator outlet to prevent water from coming out, from the water being filled via the bottom of radiator hose, the radiator is filled right up. A 'shot' of air is let into the radiator which the water spurts sky high ...and all the gunk as well. What goes up, must come down, in my case the water being literally 'bucked down on top of me'. bigl

The place we undertook this was 14 miles from my house. We transported the Chev by car trailer to the place, and I drove it home - 1st maiden voyage. Never boiled once. Yahooo!!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.