Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
My 52 Styleline was parked for a few months then had the carb rebuilt, fuel pump replaced, lines cleaned, plugs, wires, cap and rotor changed etc. (routine maintenance up to date) - in addition just before it was parked I had to replace one of the rocker arms and push rod, soaked the valve in mystery oil before the replacement (per all of you kind folks on here) and it seemed to run fine for the 5 miles or so I drove it before parking it earlier this year. Now I'm having an acceleration problem. It idles perfect, isnt too lean or too rich but stumbles badly around 10mph and will only accelerate up to 20mph under current condition. I cleaned all of the plugs which look fine (only 5 miles on them), re-gapped the points etc. but it's still not accelerating properly. Any suggestions or ideas? Would I be able to tell if the vacume advance is working properly w/o removing it? Fuel issues? I'm stumped...

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
If your didn't clean the fuel tank and lines I would do that next. Possibly the fuel pump is going bad. Don

Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

I agree, that you have a fuel problem. Even if the carb was rebuilt, is can become contaminated with the old fuel in the tank.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
The first thing would do if were my car. #1 tap on the side of the fuel bowl with the handle of a screw driver to make sure the float is not sticking. #2 Look down the carburetor and work the carb linkage to see if is squirting fuel. Not a lot of work and hopefully will help. GOOD LUCK.
beermugs

p.k.

1956 BEL AIR 2 DOOR HARDTOP

I've spent most of my money on Booze,Women and mechanical things. The rest I just Wasted........

Remember , I'm not Always Right. But I'm Never Wrong !
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
If the fuel pump is puttting out enough gas I would replace the condenser for the next trial.

Gene Schneider
Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Rev up the engine by hand under the hood. The distributer will rotate slightly if your vacuum advance is working.

Dean 50 - VCCA #44675
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Probably bad gas, new gas ages rapidly, and coud have water from condensation. As suggested check the fuel pump. A friend had a brand new one on his pickup, failed completely in less than one hundred miles. talk

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Ok, I think it's the vacume advance - I had someone watch the distributor and vacume advance closely while I rev'd up the engine, there is NO movement whatsoever. I found a new vacume advance for $50, any tips installing it? Thanks for the help. I also went ahead and ordered a replacement fuel tank and sending unit as there is some debris getting caught in the filter from rust.

ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
Spend $20 bucks or so and buy yourself a service manual for your car ... it will be the best money you will have spent on the car.

Bob

1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan / purchased from second owner 6-19-2000.
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey
Seems to me a simple "inhale" on the vacuum advance line would tell if the VA is working or not ... if not the diaphram would be the first thing to check. the diaphram might have a hole in it .

... and before installing the new diaphram, check to make sure the linkage and plates in the dizzy are working properly.

'59 Sedan Delivery, 70 Chevelle, '93 Corvette Anniversary Roadster .... and other stuff!
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by Rank
Seems to me a simple "inhale" on the vacuum advance line would tell if the VA is working or not ... if not the diaphram would be the first thing to check. the diaphram might have a hole in it .

... and before installing the new diaphram, check to make sure the linkage and plates in the dizzy are working properly.
Lift the rotor off and oil the small fuzzy in the center of the distributor shaft, this provides oil to the mechanical advance. Most forgotten service item ever. talk

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Originally Posted by bobg1951chevy
Spend $20 bucks or so and buy yourself a service manual for your car ... it will be the best money you will have spent on the car.

Bob
What he said. You can order one from Chevs of the 40s or the Filling Station the same time you order your new vacuum advance. You will have to pull the distributor. Meanwhile, check out this site to see what needs to be done. You can also do a search on our VCCA site or at Chevy Talk.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1949_53/index.htm

Dean 50 - VCCA #44675
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
UPDATE: Since my last post I have replaced the fuel tank, sending unit, fuel pump and filter. All of the lines have been cleaned out, the carb was professionaly rebuilt...I think I can positively rule out the fuel system as the problem. Next I replaced the vacume advance. The distributor is moving slightly now when accelerating as it should...unfortunatley I'm still having the same problem. It idles PERFECT but once I rev it up high or attempt to drive and get to 10mph it stumbles, won't accelerate and feels like it has a bad miss. All of the plugs, wires, cap and rotor are new, gapped correctly and good to go so I'm stumped. Any other suggestions?

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
UPDATE: Since my last post I have replaced the fuel tank, sending unit, fuel pump and filter. All of the lines have been cleaned out, the carb was professionaly rebuilt...I think I can positively rule out the fuel system as the problem. Next I replaced the vacume advance. The distributor is moving slightly now when accelerating as it should...unfortunatley I'm still having the same problem. It idles PERFECT but once I rev it up high or attempt to drive and get to 10mph it stumbles, won't accelerate and feels like it has a bad miss. All of the plugs, wires, cap and rotor are new, gapped correctly and good to go so I'm stumped. Any other suggestions?

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
I had the exact same problem years ago and it turned out to be a blown head gasket.

By the way, since you have two postings the same you can delete the second one if you wish This can be done for up to one hour after you make a post.

laugh wink beer2

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.