Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
d2d2 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
I'm taking apart the '29 transmission for inspection, to try to stop oil leaks and to replace the front bearing. I found the clutch throwout bearing (837021 w/ oiler) was installed upside down because with the oiler on top it interferes with the clutch fork. Earlier bearing retainers do not have the oiler. The parts book shows a clutch throwout bearing oil tube for 1929-30 p/n 363441. Can someone describe the oil tube and can I remove the oiler and find or fabricate an oil tube in it's place?

If you have old Chevrolets, other old Chevrolets will find out where you live.
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
According to the Repair Manual for 1929/1930, the throw-out bearing was not lubricated.

"The clutch throw-out bearing is a Graphite compound and needs no lubrication." (pg 59)

Yet, in 1931, an improved throw-out bearing came with an oil reservoir to be filled with regular motor oil on an as needed basis. I wonder if the oil tube mentioned in the parts book could be a later accessory. It seems though, that it would be easier just to replace the throw-out bearing with the improved type rather than add some kind of oiling system. When I had my transmission out I did not see any kind of oil tube to the throw-out. I did replace the thow-out bearing with a later type but did not add oil to it (see quote above). Haven't had any problems with it after about 2000 miles of use.

Dan

d2d2 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
The problem is solved - maybe. The throwout bearing and retainer are either for a right hand drive car or it is not a Chevrolet part. I now have the correct part and the oiler is like like the one shown for 837021. I guess I'll have to oil it well and live with it, there's no inspection plate on the '29 clutch housing.

Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
hey d2
do your self a favor and drop the bearing in a pan of oil overnight.

d2d2 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
...a good idea

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Or, you can get the "No More Graphite Throw Out Bearing" replacement from Verlyn Husman, 6281 Edgewood Ave N. Brooklyn Park, MN 55428

With this, you'll never have to worry about the graphiet thing again.

My Chevy is over 70 years old and still running great. I hope I keep running cuz I just turned 81 !!
Oil Can Mechanic
Oil Can Mechanic
d2d2,

Just as an FYI. I was looking through some service bulletins and came across this:

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/bulletins/31csn040.htm

It shows the oil tube and how it was installed.

Dan

d2d2 Offline OP
ChatMaster - 750
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 750
Thanks - that's very interesting, it should be easy to drill the hole and make the tube.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.