Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Ok here we go again:
Compression: 120 120 119 120 119 120
New parts:
coil
condensor
cap/rotor
plugs
wires
starter
battery
rebuilt carb
timing at tdc
She still wont fire and seems to have a weak spark. I guess the next step is a small block and 12v! For some reason the car with 3 wires under the hood has defeated me! I
have tried just about everything and she just wont run again. I even seperated the power source for the coil and still nothing (wel a couple of stumbles but thats it). I really, really want to keep her original but.......its not looking good for that. Is there something I am missing?

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
If you short across the point arms do you get a "snappy" spark at the arm? If you short across the points and hold the coil center wire next to a ground on the engine do you get a snappy blue spark that will jump ~1/2" ? (The points need to be a bit open to do that check.) If those are both 'yes', then if you rotate the engine so the points are closed and you open and then allow the points to close do you get a "snappy" spark when closed? When holding the center wire about 1/2" from a ground do you get a snappy blue spark?

If the answer to the first question is no the the problem is coil, coil wire, condenser or wire to coil or points. If the answer to the first question is yes and the second question is no then the points are the problem. Just remember new parts are not necessarily in good condition.

Until you can have the above all yes you don't have the ignition system in good condition. Don't give up yet. This is not rocket science and the GGs will quit messing with you eventually.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Chipper! I am not giving up yet. Shes got one more chance! Hopefully ill have some time to give it another try tonight. Its something simple and im so used to working on much more complicated systems I feel that Im overlooking something.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic

Thanks Dean50! I went through that site but did not find the manual for some reason.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1949_53/index.htm

If that does not work, go to the main page (chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com) and go to the "Shop & Repair Manuals at the bottom, left column: look for this one:

1949 - 1953 Passenger Car Shop Manual w/1954 Supplement

Hope that helps

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Ok! Some progress has been made! I went back to basics and started from scratch. Went over the points as Chipper stated. Had spark went shorting points, had no spark when rotating engine. Readjusted the points (set to oem spec) and spark came back when rotating. It would jump 3/4" and it was ok, not great(blue at each end and snappy but bluish orange in the middle), but there. Timed it at tdc by watching it spark and watching the flywheel mark. set #1 over the rotor and it tried to fire but.......the fuel pump coincidentally crapped out! This thing just doesnt want to move!!! Thanks to all for the replies and I think we are on the right path. Now things have to stop breaking!!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Glad your making progress. Those GGs will test you until you are ready to quit. They will then back off.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
The top listing IS the shop manual. The bottom one is all listings. Scroll down to shop manuals and you will find it. There are also accessory manuals, body manuals, all kinds of neat stuff.

Dean 50 - VCCA #44675
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks Chipper! I hope to get the new pump in tonight and hopefully she will roar to life. Then I can get to all of the normal maintenance etc. Im crossing my fingers (at this point everything there is 2 of!!!).

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks all who helped! At 8:30 last night the good ole chevy 6 roared to life! It took a litle coaxing but she fired. I got the carb tuned to a good idle and here are the results:
18-19" hg at idle
mix screw turned out 4 turns idle screw turned in 3 1/4 turns(would not rev up if in any other config)
Ign timing at 5 deg btdc static (again.. thats where she liked it)

She ran for about 45 minutes at idle with very few bobbles. She also stayed very cool. For sitting still in a garage I could still put my hand on (and hold it there!)the radiator after 45 min. Shut her down and the starter wouldnt turn to fire her back up so thats the next quest! Im off to take a ride (I hope)! Hope to get some good pics today, Ill have to post some.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Spoke too soon! Well at least Im getting used to pushing this car. The wonderful fuel pump I just put in took a dump. I just cant win with this car! Is there anywhere to get rebuild kits for the original glass bowl pump?

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
The Filling Station will have them.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Any chance that your fuel tank has got a bunch of varnish or dirt in it? Continued fuel systems problems usually point to this.
Don

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Drained the tank and tank looks good. also put a new line and filter from tank up. It was just a wonderful "western rebuilt" pump. Got a couple of good squirts and thats it. Someday we'll all learn to stop buying that crap.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
A while back when I got my 50 I went through the whole deal of getting it going and road worthy. I pulled the drain plug for the gas tank, flushed it many times. I had good clean gas coming out of the tank. Then I put fresh gas in, got car going. Then fuel pump issues and carb issues started. I had enough and pulled the tank and took the sending unit out. WOW!! mud caked inside. The fresh gas going in is modern gas with alcohol in it. When the car sat, the alcohol would dissolve the sediment / varnish and then the next time I started the car it would send a bunch of crap into it. I'm just darn lucky that I didn't end up with stuck valves and a bigger mess with being a hard head and not pulling the tank to begin with. Old gas sediment / varnish is a motor killer. Be safe and pull your tank for a look. Never know, it may be clean. Bottom line you will have the bases covered.
Don

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
I would suspect he has a plugged fuel system also.

Gene Schneider
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I stopped being lazy last night and pulled the tank (should have in the first place but ...oh well) and low and behold.....a good inch of rusty, chunky goodness! New tank is on its way. Then I think we are in the clear! Knock on wood!

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
I'm glad you found your problem. Now, make sure you clean the fuel line between the tank and fuel pump, get the new fuel pump on and go ahead and take the carb apart and make sure its good and clean. Once your done get ready for some driving.
Good Luck
Don

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
I hope! As long as I dont stall it! Still have the starter issue but I hope that will be resolved soon.

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
You might want to make sure you have a good ground cable from the battery to the engine and another from the engine to the frame.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Allright! She has her new stomach and fires right up. Tonight is the night.......I hope......for a first ride without pushing!

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
The first ride can be enhanced by overcoming all those frustration problems. I am confident you will have a smile on your face that even a bulldozer will not be able to smooth out.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Well I didnt get home from the shop until after dark so...I had to wait until this morning. The ride went well, she fired right up in the 40 deg weather. The ride went well, runs really strong. I pulled up to the shop shut her off to open up and came out to check timing and set idle etc. (now that shes fully warm) and the damn starter wouldnt turn her over. I hope the guy who rebuilt it will be here today to find whatever he missed. All in all, the smiles on everyones face when you drive by is worth all of the work. Thanks to all who helped out getting this mess cleaned up! Goes to show dont ever believe.."it was driven every day until last mont" before you buy. Here is a pic right before I lost the brakes!
[Linked Image from i470.photobucket.com]

Last edited by 51deluxe; 10/22/09 10:06 AM.
ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Starter will not turn over engine when it is hot-
Could be timing is advanced too far.
Engine "tight' from recent rebuild.
Incorrect small diameter 12 V battery cables.
Just plain old NG cables.
Dirty battery connections or ground cable attached to painted surface on engineIn other words it may not be the starter.

Gene Schneider
ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Sure looks better than my '51 two door. Hope it is as much fun to drive as mine. Just completed nearly 400 miles on the VCCA Southern Fall Tour in luxury despite frog strangling downpours. Driving these old Chevys is too much fun to be legal.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.