Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
42bill Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
I'm "looking" at two 1949 tin woodies. I think one is "Ice Green Poly" and the other is "Spruce Green Poly." (AutoColorLibrary chips) Neither color seems to be spot on; maybe they're both supposed to be Spruce Green.

Anyway, my question is what color should the dash be??

Also, is the 'bottom' part of the dash the same color as the top part??

Final question, is the woody wagon dash the same color(s) as a sedan, coupe, etc??

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bill.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
The wagons, which were Deluxe models, had the same color dash as the sedan Deluxe models. Brown on the lower and a very metallic tan on the top.
Ice green was the same as Mist Green in 1950. A gray/green, with a lot of metallic. If I remember correctly it came out in mid 1949.
There is no Spruce Green for 1949 but there was Liveoak green. It was a medium dark green with some metallic. I would describe it as a dirty green. I never liked the color and had a '49 in the color. Was one of the few colors available for a wagon.
In looking at the wagon colors the standard wagon color was maroon and the optional color was Liveoak green.

Gene Schneider
42bill Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
Thanks Gene. I appreciate the info about the dash colors. I will admit it seems odd to me the lighter color is on the top part --- and the darker color on the bottom part. To me that seems sort of backwards. I guess it just seems like the darker color would be on top. (Not from memory --- just thinking of color scheme, or whatever you'd call it.)

Interesting how AutoColorLibrary clearing shows Spruce Green as a 49 color. (Contrary to what you indicate.) I guess that proves, once again, a guy can't believe all he sees on the www. A.C.L. does show the color you mentioned (Live Oak Green). But AutoColorLib shows it as a two tone combo color with Satin Green.

I certainly agree with your description as a "dirty green." Both Spruce Green and Live Oak Green look like a 'dirty green' to me. And, I'd say they're very similar colors. A.C.L. shows Live Oak Green as a bit darker than Spruce Green. Take a look if you have time.

auto color library 1949 green colors

Further, if you have time, you can see one of the 49 woodies I'm looking at. The one in AZ.....

'49 tin woodie in AZ

Be forewarned - the car has been modified. And the dash color is Horrible!!!

As always, thanks for your input. I sure do appreciate it!

Bill.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
OK _ I found paint #422, Spruce Green on another Dupont chart. Its marked with an * and says used for a limited time only.
The wagon would look a lot better if it had its standard equipment fender skirts. It looks to be painted a dark aqua. Better than Liveoak.

Gene Schneider
42bill Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
Glad you found 'spruce green.' It concerned me auto color library had it as a 1949 color and you didn't acknowledge it as a 49 color. I've placed a fair amount of faith in A. C. L. since I found them a while back and I didn't like thinking they were wrong.

The color on the wagon doesn't look like a 'perfect' match. It isn't a bad color. And, it isn't great. Just a color similar to others of that era.

I also think the car (might) look better with fender skirts. Altho nice to see those hi dollar wide white radials exposed.

I like the sounds (description) and looks of the car enough to get me to spend the money to fly down to Phoenix and take a look myself. Buying from a dealer is really hard for me. I hate to make too much of a contribution to their bottom line. I always feel it's too big of a contribution. I'll have a much better idea the day after tomorrow if it's going to wind up in my garage.

Thanks again for you input.

Bill.

42bill Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
Well, the color isn't live oak or spruce. Closer to spruce green; but not really close. Definitely a hint of teal or blue or something in it. It looks nice even if no where near an original color. The dash really is just plain old turquoise. (Like turquoise on a 55 or 57.) And it looks horrible with the exterior color. Amazing what some guys/eyes can do with colors!! It's one of those "what was HE thinking" situations??!??

It's a great car from 8-10 feet. However, a number of needs can easily be seen when you get closer to it. The interior is gorgeous and it does drive like a dream. But for now it's still in Phoenix.

Thanks for your help with the green colors, Gene.

Bill.

42bill Offline OP
ChatMaster - 4,000
OP Offline
ChatMaster - 4,000
Originally Posted by Chev Nut
.....The wagon would look a lot better if it had its standard equipment fender skirts.....

In general, are '49 skirts "about" the size as '54 fender skirts?? I'm pretty sure they are not interchangeable. I'm just asking if 49 skirts are about the same size and shape of 53 and 54 skirts??

The reason I'm asking is when I was checking out the car on Thurs, there was a pair of fender skirts on a shelf at the place that definitely weren't for any of the other woodies he had. (Definitely not for the 30's Fords or the 49 T and C or the 49 Buick, etc.)

We held them up on the car where they'd go and they certainly didn't fit in the wheel well opening. They were longer and a bit taller. Sort of like aftermarket "cruiser" skirts. Altho they didn't look like they would fit, they were basically the same color as the car. Weird.

Anyway, "same" size???

Thanks.

Bill.

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
There are three types of skirts.
The 1949-50 skirts are the same and they were also used on 1951 and 1952 wagons.
The 1951 and 1952 skirts are the same and was the only year the left and right would inter-change.
The 1953 and 1954 skirts are the same and also fit the wagons of those years.
There are minor details that enable one to tell the various years apart.

Gene Schneider

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.