Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
wesb Offline OP
Backyard Mechanic
OP Offline
Backyard Mechanic
Any one have a photo or know what the tire pump looked like for
mid thirties

Last edited by Bill Barker; 10/05/08 09:59 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction
Support The VCCA!

Enjoy the forum? Become a VCCA member! The World's Best Chevrolet and GMC Club!

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
I have a restored Goldenrod pump from late 20s and early 30s it is probably a higher quality pump than the ones that came with the Chevrolet. I got it for my wife to use for fixing flats on our 28(she calls it her cordless air compressor!). I also got her a nice screw jack and a Deluxe Monkey Grip patching kit and a full set of original lug wrenches and tire tools. I let her use the nice rim expanding and retraction tool whenever she wants to. There is nothing too good for my wife! I make sure she wipes the tools all neat and clean before they go under the front seat in the storage box.

If you believe this I have some ocean front property just South of Odessa, Texas for sale. devil bigl :vcca: yay

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Hey Mackie!!! What`s a "Tire Pimp?" BTW-I sure wish you wouldn`t spoil Darlene like that, if the word gets around them there women will all be wantin them there tools an such. yesireebobtail!

hoppy

"Four-Doors-Forever"
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
n2chev, Have you ever posted something that had a misspelled word in it? We do not want to criticize our new chat site buddies do we? So did anyone send him a picture of the tire pump? IMHP :(

Sal Orlando
Chat Group Region Member
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Hey hoppy, are you saying that a guy that provides his wife with good tire tools is a "tire pimp"? bigl

By the way are you going to the SFT in Oklahoma?

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
Hey Mack--I ain`t saying that, just think yur spoilin her with all them there fancy tools and such.BTW- We`ve been signed up since the first of the year, reservations and all, but Darlene(my wife not yours) went an busted up her knees and is scheduled for surgery on the 8th next week so we had to bow out. Sure was lookin forward to going. The SFT`s are really great. We had a super time down there in Mountain View, Ark last year. I was planning on bringing my brand new 1954 and Bill and Pat will not be going now since they were riding down with us. Whatta Bummer.

hoppy

"Four-Doors-Forever"
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
hoppy, we are sorry to hear about Darlene's knee problem.
We always look forward to seeing you, Darlene and Cuz & Pat on the tours.

I just hope Darlene didn't mess up her knees push starting those cars of yours, you could buy a new battery every once in a while!

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hey Guys,

It seems like you two have hi-jacked this thread with all your BS. Some of us are wondering if there's any chance anybody has a picture of a tire pump the original poster was asking about.

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Yes Bill, someone will come up with a picture, would you have one?

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hey Mack, Good of you to post a picture for the guy who was asking. As for me having one, I have two complete cars --- and that's about it. Somewhere between little and no "research" type info. Living in the middle of a fairly large city, with (just) a two car garage, I feel fortunate the Mrs. has put up with the old cars being in the garage. (And her car sitting outside year round.) I'd love to have 4-5-6 nice complete cars. But no where to keep them. Thanks for helping the guy out....

Last edited by Bill Barker; 10/05/08 09:58 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Bill , that is about my story two cars to tour with, then I got involved with some members with those "old Timey" Chevrolets, the pre-1929 cars. After a couple of tours and shopping trips I discovered Junk shops, the ladies call them "Antique shops" I started digging thru bins shelves etc. and started locating old tools, monkey wrenches, grease guns, valve tools, jacks and other tools. I did some research, then saw a tire pump at a swap meet in Oklahoma for $200 and a couple of weeks later in a Texas Junk shop found a Goldenrod pump exactly like the $200 job for $1.10, bought it took it apart cleaned it up and walla! I now have a "restored to original" $200 pump. Ha! to me it is still a $1.10 pump that cleaned up ok. I really don't see how I could keep up over 3 vintage Chevrolets that are driven. It seems that one or the other of them of them needs to be repaired, petted or something.

Last edited by Bill Barker; 10/05/08 09:57 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Understood. All that you said just above. 10-12 years ago I had five nice cars. 2 at home. 3 in rented garages literally just down my street a few houses away. But even nearby isn't the same as "at home." 4 were very nice. Dang nice judgable cars. Even the not-so-nice one ran and drove just fine. Even though it took some effort to keep them up, I loved all five of them. I'm willing to admit, I'd give my left acorn for another garage (that matched the style, architecture, etc of my Dutch Colonial two car garage) right here on my 50x125 foot lot in the city. If I had that additional garage, I'd buy two more nice cars in a heart beat. And I wouldn't have had to pass on several cars I wanted to buy in the last 2-3 years. I've been dreaming of that 2nd garage for years. 15-20 years ago I used to think there was a chance I might get it eventually. I wouldn't bet much on it at this point. Although I still think about it all the time. Unfortunately, I'm probably just wishin' and hoping'.....

Last edited by Bill Barker; 10/05/08 09:56 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
Bill 42, Young Billy Boy BaRRker mus' knot hav a lot-to-do when he starts kerectin' my spelling, He will soon find out it is a fuel time oukupation!
I did find a solution to my storage problem, It wuz cheeper to buy a couple of four poster car lifts than build another garage, for my 51 Belair project, my 3/4 ton Jimmy pekcup. Now if I can aford a leanto attachment on the rear for my Kubota tractor and all the associated stuff. having several cars to keep inside out of the sun & weather pose more problems than I anticipated........

Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
Former ChatMaster
ChatMaster - 5,000
FYI -- I modified the first 4 or 5 postings with the misspelled word so that in future searches, people would be able to find the information about a TIRE PUMP....

The long term value of the site is based upon accurate searches. Incorrect spelling KEY words doesn't help future users. As for the rest of them, go ahead and do yur thing.
wazzup

Bill Barker
Previous VCCA CHAT Administrator
(VCCA Member: 9802)
ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
luv2 As everyone knows, early tire pumps were connected to the valve stem by screwing a fixture that was on the end of the hose to the valve stem. Mr. Mack's picture is of a later pump that uses a simple clamp on device that may, in my experience, hold the hose to the valve stem or not. If I don't press the one I have to the valve stem in perfect alignment, it lets what little air is left in the tire out! Beamer

Chat Region Member
2017 GMC Canyon
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
While we are on the hand pump topic, I am restoring an old tire pump that I came across in a box of junk from my grandfathers. The same place that my 31 coupe came from. Not the box but from him. :) The pump is in really good shape except for the brittle hose. I am now looking for a supplier of the old cloth covered air hose. It is 3/8" OD. The pump is from "The Monroe Auto Equipment Mfg Co" in Michigan, with a patten date of March 30, 1920. I have all the fittings that I can reuse. My fittings are like what Beamer was talking about. They screw onto the valve stem not clip. Thanks

Sal Orlando
Chat Group Region Member
ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
The Goldenrod tire pump that I restored is from the late 1920s and has a screw on end. The pump is almost identical to the picture I posted, by the way the Goldenrod pump is still being made. Farmers buy them.

ChatMaster - 15,000
ChatMaster - 15,000
Check with the Model A part suppiers. I use Snyders in Ohio most often.

How Sweet the roar of a Chevy four!

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.