Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
I read a few previous posts about replacing the switch if you had the original key. I do not have the original keys, but purchased a new ignition switch assembly on ebay with new keys. I have looked through the shop manual, but can't seem to find how to remove the entire assembly to change it out. Can someone provide instructions or point the way to a link on how to do this step by step? I would greatly appreciate it!

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
to remove the switch
Disconnect battery cable
remove lock cylinder ....need key for this
disconnect wires from back of switch - had better lable their locations
loosen two screws, behind dash, turn switch in couther clock wise direction a bit and remove.
You will see the "ears" that are on the sides of the switch that have the screws that hold it in place

The 1948 car switch is the same as the 1949-1950 cars and similar to the 1951-1952 cars.

If you remove your switch and take it to a lock smith he could make a key for it. In 1948 there was only one key and it fit all the locks. Your switch may have been replaced at one time.

Last edited by Chev Nut; 07/13/08 10:46 PM.

Gene Schneider
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Chevnut,

So I assume I can just leave the old lock cylinder in, and still follow all your steps to remove the entire assembly? Since I bought the replacement, it seems like that might be easier than just pulling the handle off the door and taking it a locksmith.

I appreciate your help, and will give this a try! Thanks again!

ChatMaster - 25,000
ChatMaster - 25,000
Yes, you can leave the old lock cylinder in as long as you are replacing the unit. Not sure though if the little handle (or tail) on the (bottom-front) cylinder will pass through the hole in the dash. If not you can cut off its tail :eek:

Gene Schneider
Grease Monkey
OP Offline
Grease Monkey
Yikes. Okay, I'll give it a whirl sometime this week.

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.