Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
JYD I agree with you 100%...Oscar

OSCAR ALBRETSEN
Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but if Bill Hirsch has the incorrect color why does he think he has the correct one? talk talk talk

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Bill Hirsch will never admit that anything he makes is incorrect or inferior. For example, his 1930-32 hub caps were defective (they would fall off of the wheel while driving because the diameter of the flange on the cap was too small) and he would still insist that his hub caps were the correct size. He also told customers that his 1930-32 hub caps were made by the same company that made them originally and that the company was now located in Europe. However, on the back of the hub caps it said "Made In Japan"!

At one time he also made 18" trim rings for the 1932 Chevrolet, again insisting that those were correct when in reality there was no such genuine Chevrolet accessory used in 1932. Anything to make a buck!

At any rate, Bill Hirsch came out with this "gas meter" gray paint several decades ago before the correct stuff was available from the Filling Station, and he insisted then (as he does now) that his paint was correct. Even back at that time several of us knew it was not correct and in discussions with him he refused to change the color.

Actually, it's probably an ego and a money thing as to why he won't change his paint to the correct stuff. Bottom line though....he just won't listen.

mad mad mad

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
ChatMaster - 3,000
ChatMaster - 3,000
I have purchased from Chevs of the 40's for many years with good success until just recently..there sales staff have lost touch of what they are selling...I address my dissatisfaction and received no response and they have lost a loyal customer,chef

ChatMaster - 10,000
ChatMaster - 10,000
I wonder if maybe "Chevs of the 40s" have changed ownership? Have you taken a good look around on their web site? Lots of changes, I notice they now sell big block crate engines. I have ordered from them in the past, but not lately.

I don't know about Bill H., he has been in business for a while, he may think he is really right and thinks "what do a bunch of Left Coast dudes know about old Chevrolets...anyway?" Since Gene says the Filling Station paint is correct, I will go along with him, because he is the #1 Chevrolet guru for the late 30s, in my humble opinion.

Life's a long winding trail, love Jesus and ride a good horse!
ChatMaster - 1,000
ChatMaster - 1,000
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog
Bill Hirsch will never admit that anything he makes is incorrect or inferior. For example, his 1930-32 hub caps were defective (they would fall off of the wheel while driving because the diameter of the flange on the cap was too small) and he would still insist that his hub caps were the correct size. He also told customers that his 1930-32 hub caps were made by the same company that made them originally and that the company was now located in Europe. However, on the back of the hub caps it said "Made In Japan"!

At one time he also made 18" trim rings for the 1932 Chevrolet, again insisting that those were correct when in reality there was no such genuine Chevrolet accessory used in 1932. Anything to make a buck!

At any rate, Bill Hirsch came out with this "gas meter" gray paint several decades ago before the correct stuff was available from the Filling Station, and he insisted then (as he does now) that his paint was correct. Even back at that time several of us knew it was not correct and in discussions with him he refused to change the color.

Actually, it's probably an ego and a money thing as to why he won't change his paint to the correct stuff. Bottom line though....he just won't listen.

mad mad mad

Thanks for the information. Just wanted to clarify as much as possible how all this got started. talk talk talk

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Back in the late 70s when I started restoring my'48, I bought a quart of engine paint - correct dark blue/gray - from Cincinnati Varnish Company division of Foy-Johnson. I still have the can and have used the paint for new parts and touch up. Back then I still had my '39 which had the original engine which had been rebuilt by a local Chev dealer in '52 when my mom owned it. The Cincinnati paint was a great match for the original GM paint...Just like the Filling Station paint of today. And Ron Wade,the owner of Chev's of the 40s had his Ruby Maroon'41 Cabriolet at the Anniversary Meet in Springfield in '01. It took Best of Show prewar and it had all of the '41 accessories on it. There must be a lot of color pics of the engine color around...Maybe even I have some.....

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Interesting that you should mention the Cincinnati Varnish Company, because I also have an original can of engine paint from them, and the can has only been opened once. The one and only time I opened the can was years ago when I was doing research for the Filling Station regarding the correct six cylinder dark blue-gray engine color. As I remember, Duane Steele of Automotive Obsolete had a few cans in stock that he was selling and I got one. That would have been back in the early 1970's.

Ya, it would also be interesting to note what color Ron Wade (owner of Chevs of The 40's) has on his '41 cabriolet engine since it supposedly scored 1,000 points in VCCA judging in 2001.

wink :) :grin:

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000
Technical Advisor
ChatMaster - 10,000

Hi,

I invite you to scan on down to General Discussion and read about engine paint.

A question has been raised as to the paint on the engine of Ron Wades car displayed in the showroom. That car was completed before the switch in colors, and is correct.

Agrin devil

RAY

Chevradioman
http://www.vccacolumbiariverregion.org/

1925 Superior K Roadster
1928 Convertible, Sport, Cabriolet
1933 Eagle, Coupe
1941 Master Deluxe 5-Passenger Coupe
1950 Styleline Deluxe 4-Door Sedan
1950 Styleline Deluxe Convertible
2002 Pontiac, Montana, Passenger Van
2014 Impala, 4-Door Sedan, White Diamond, LTZ
2017 Silverado, Double Cab, Z71, 4X4, White, Standard Bed, LTZ

If you need a shoulder to cry on, pull off to the side of the road.
Death is the number 1 killer in the world.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
I found only one picture from the judging at Springfield - there must be more around - and it's taken from the wrong side. But it shows the top of the valve color which appears to be the lighter color. But, it was taken by a film camera, not a digital, and we all know how film changes colors.

ChatMaster - 1,500
ChatMaster - 1,500
Hello, All -

I received a phone call yesterday from Rob Logsdon, co-owner of Chevs of the 40's with Rob Wade.

This thread in Chevy Chatter had been brought to his attention, and the fact that his company was possibly getting bad press as a result of using the incorrect BH paint. He logged on and read through it.

He wanted me to know, and to let all of you know, that as soon as he read this string he went to the his people and had them immediately pull all of the BH 6 Cylinder gray paint off the shelves.

He says he is going to correct this problem, and get The Right Stuff (color) back on his shelves - whatever it takes. He is also going to try and get BH to correct the color they are selling. (Good luck on that one, they have been told by zillions of knowledgeable people for a long time that their color is wrong, but maybe Rob can succeed where no one has before).

So, a couple of lessons - Chevs of the 40's does care, and wants to do things right. And - this Chat site has meaningful power in the hobby world!

Thanks,
Don Williams
Prez

If anyone knows of any other recent threads that should also get this message, please feel free to copy it or post a link - I know this is a common topic.

Chevy Guru
ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
I spend quite a bit of time as many of the members here do, over at the Stovebolt forum. This is almost a monthly discussion over there as well, with all the new people registering with the forums.
It would sure be nice to be able to put it to bed some how.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.