Reproduction Parts for 1916-1964 Chevrolet Passenger Cars & 1918-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Trucks

Visit the new site at vcca.org

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Originally Posted by Chev Nut
The car is a '48-see belt and revele mouldings but the T bar on the grille is missing.

The T-bar is in the trunk. I think they took it off at some point because the bolt that holds it on is broke.

Filling Station - Chevrolet & GMC Reproduction Parts

Filling Station

ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
It's good you have it. Not always easy to come by that distinctive '48 feature.

auto yipp

Bill.

ChatMaster - 750
ChatMaster - 750
42 Bill

WOW--those are some beautiful Chevies and quite a collection. Do you still have all six? If so you must have a huge garage.

"Four-Doors-Forever"
ChatMaster - 4,000
ChatMaster - 4,000
Hey n2,

Thanks for noticing. Unfortunately I don't have a big garage. I'd love to still have those six - - and another one or two I've owned.

I still have the 54 (30 years now) and the 56 convertible (one year now). Several of the others are owned by friends. And they're still friends!!!

auto yipp

(No picture of the '37 sedan I just bought last week. Probably won't post a picture of it....)

Bill.

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
New discovery today.
Well, I noticed right away when I got the car that the carb on it wasn't the original carter. I just thought nothing of it and assumed someone had just swapped out the carbs at some point. I figured out today that it was actually a Rochester carb and looked just like the ones on the 235 motors. However, today while I was looking over stuff under the hood, I realized that the motor is not the orginal either!
The number stamped on the cylinder block is 383-7004 GM4, which according to this website: http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/chevytalk/GMhistory/cast.html
means that it is the motor out of a 1955-1957 Chevy (235).
I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I sure am glad I haven't bought any parts for it yet.

Last edited by hatfielj; 07/12/07 09:21 PM.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Also, does anyone know if the 235 motors ran on 12volts or 6 volts?
Now I have to research two different year of cars!

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
If it is 12volt that might explain why the 6 volt battery I was using was unable to even turn the starter over at all?

Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Tech Advisor
ChatMaster - 25,000
Also, does anyone know if the 235 motors ran on 12volts or 6 volts?

Both! Before 1955 they used 6 volt systems, and 1955 and later they used 12 volt systems.

wink :) :grin:

The Mangy Old Mutt

"If It's Not Junk.....It's Not Treasure!"
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
So I need to figure out if all the engine electrical parts on my car are actually 12 or 6 volts? Hmm, well this sure does change things a little.

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Look on your coil and see if it tells you the volts on it. Also there should be a tag on your starter. get the # off of it. If you have a digital camera take a bunch of pics and email them to me if you like. aero46chevy@msn.com .Alot of engine swaps with the 216 and 235 are very common. Most of the time the original bellhousing,flywheel, clutch was kept from the 216. If that is the case the starter could still be 6 volt. Also there will be a tag on the generator. That # will also help. Having the #'s of both the starter and generator are not 100% tell tales but it's a start. Where abouts in Mich are you at??

'46 Fleetline Aerosedan
Most southernest vintage Chevy owner in Canada.
Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Cool, I'll get those numbers or maybe even snap some pics if I get a chance. I'm located in the royal oak/madison heights area Metro Detroit, Oakland County(13&JohnR)

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Got the numbers on the gen and starter
Gen: 1100018 3G21
Starter: 1107108 3H19

I don't know what model these are from, but I know they are not the same ones originally put on the 48's because I checked the 1948 Chevy Spec's book. SO, now I have to figure out where these parts came from and whether they are 6 or 12 volts.
The coil that came with the car says its a 6 volt. However, it is cracked on the top so I'm thinking maybe someone put a 6 volt on there by mistake and thats what caused it to crack?

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Just did a quick search for those numbers in other years specification manuals and found out that the generator is from a 1953 chevy making it a 6 volt and the starter appears to be from a 53 also.
So, it doesn't look like the system was converted to a 12 volt at the time of the engine swap.

Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
My vote: you found a real hunny here - do what you need to do to get the car driving and enjoy it. It doesn't have to look like it just drove off the new car lot to be fun to drive and enjoy. The car has all the potential of being whatever you want to put into it. I am near you in Shelby. I can help with local chrome shops, trim shops, ect when you're ready. You don't need to feel like you MUST change to 12V. My '48 is still 6V and runs great. 6V car batteries, regulators, ect are all available. I found both over the counter at a parts store in Pontiac. Another reason to be a bit concerned about the floor condition, especially here in Michigan on cool days with the windows up is exhaust fume intrusion. Let me know how I can help you. Bowtie

Shade Tree Mechanic
OP Offline
Shade Tree Mechanic
Thanks again bowtie. I really appreciate your input. I'll for sure be getting in touch with you in the future when the time comes!

Backyard Mechanic
Backyard Mechanic
Sorry i didn't get back to you right away. I had a bunch of stuff to get ready for our first Canadian Rodder tour from Toronto to Vancouver. By the way. There is a 40 Chev Coupe all original making the trex. It looks like you have some help on your side of the creek there.

'46 Fleetline Aerosedan
Most southernest vintage Chevy owner in Canada.
Shade Tree Mechanic
Shade Tree Mechanic
I was 18 when I bought my 38 Chevy for $110 dolars in 1966. I needed a car to drive to college. I did not want one of those modern looking 10 year old cars such as a 56 Chevy that all the other guys had. I kept her running all the way through college and then used her to travel to and from Dayton Ohio to Boston MA for two years of grad school. After that she rested in garages while I raised a family. Now she is starting to get the well deserved frame up restoration to become the number one show winning 1938 Master Deluxe - all orininal.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Notice: Any comments posted herein do not necessarily reflect the official position of the VCCA.